1. LordKyleOfEarth

LordKyleOfEarth Contributor Contributor

Possesive plurality question

Discussion in 'Word Mechanics' started by LordKyleOfEarth, Jun 28, 2012.

Correct me if I'm wrong here, but when indicating possession for a plural word that ends in 's', you add an apostrophe after the last 's', and do not add an 's' after that apostrophe (i.e. the possessive of kids would be kids'). Therefore would "Congress's power" have been more correctly written "Congress' power"?

I'll throw out there that I may be constructing it incorrectly (as Congress') because 'Congress' may, in fact, be a singular noun (in this case) which would require the 's construction.

Oh English :rolleyes:

2. digitig

digitig Contributor Contributor

Orpington, Bromley, United Kingdom, United Kingdom
    As far as I can see, "Congress" is a singular noun with plural "congresses" (and a somewhat archaic verb too, of course).

3. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

A plural noun ending iin s simply appends an apostrophe.
    A singular noun ending in an s sound used to be converted to the possessive the same way. For some nouns, that practice continues, but increasingly the rule is shifting toward appending 's;

As digitig points out, Congress is actually a singular noun. so Congress's foibles is now slightly preferred. But you would still freak when you saw the mess in the boys' bedroom.

4. BFGuru

BFGuru Active Member

O.k. congress and mess in boys bedroom does not belong in the same sentence...well, I guess it could belong, but only if there is protection involved. And why am I stuck thinking the archaic definition of this word?

5. LordKyleOfEarth

LordKyleOfEarth Contributor Contributor

Good to know. I guess I was slightly incorrect in my expectation of Congress's construction. Bah, that still looks wrong to me.

6. digitig

digitig Contributor Contributor

Orpington, Bromley, United Kingdom, United Kingdom
    Well, at least it's a lot less work to learn that "congress" is singular than it would be to re-learn how to construct English possessives ;-)