Post apocalyptic... western?

Discussion in 'Setting Development' started by Pointer, Jul 8, 2013.

1. psychotick

psychotick Contributor Contributor

Hi,

I almost agree. Firefly and Serenity could have been brilliant. They should have been. Joss is a genius at bringing his characters to life and making you feel for them. And I'm glad that for some that genius was sufficient to overcome the glaring clashes. For me it wasn't, and every tme I watch the shows (I have all the dvds naturally) I continually find myself pulled out of the moment by the clashes of culture. And I keep wondering is this meant to be serious, emotional character driven sci fi - or is it a farce?

Now for me if I have to ask that question of a show it means that the writing / acting etc must have been absolutely awesome to almost make me doubt it was a farce. But I would doubt that many other writers could achieve this near miracle. So for most of us, trying to write something like firefly, we would end up writing a farce.

So I stand by my view, sure bring the western themes and plots into you post apocalyptic world, they'll work well. But unless you consider yourself a writer of such skill as to make glaring inconsistencies and clashes seem unimportant, leave out the six shooters, bustles and John Wayne speech.

Cheers, Greg.

2. Justin Ladobruk

Justin Ladobruk Active Member

I cannot for the life of me figure out what the heck you're talking about. I noticed a few minor issues (such as Zoe calling Mal 'Sir' and two ships passing in space slower than molasses), but a mixed technology universe with higher technology on central planets and lower technology on frontier worlds is completely plausible, as is the cultural mix. Spend some time in any North American city with a high immigrant population and that kind of cultural mix is considered normal. I see it almost every day in my city.