1. Heather Louise

Heather Louise Contributor Contributor

Whats Your Occuptation

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Heather Louise, Apr 10, 2007.

jobs

just a little genral curiosity into what everyone does for a living; whether you work, are a stay at home mother or still in school, please share.
    Heather

2. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

i answered this in your post over at wf.com... here's what i said:

love and hugs, maia

3. Domoviye

Domoviye New Member

Proud Canadian. Currently teaching in Nanjing, Chi
    Currently waiting for July 8th for employment.
    I'm just waiting for final confirmation on a teaching job in China, near Shanghai. Three week summer camp at one of several dozen school, with the possibility of getting a contract for one or more semesters afterwards. With free room and board, plus the paycheque, life's going to be sweet.
    Unfortunately until around the middle of June, I live at home. Which sucks, but most places hire in August, or January, and I got my certificate in February.

4. WhiteRider

WhiteRider New Member

I'm still in school kind of anyway. Looking for a job but haven't gotten hired yet. Thinking about being a horse trainer. And been slowly but surely finishing my book!

5. Heather Louise

that sounds really cool Domoviye, i hope you enjoy working there. and good look with finding a job whiterider, a horse trainer sounds good - i wish i could ride a horse. lol
    Heather

6. wordwizard

wordwizard New Member

yup I got pregnant just out of highschool and am a stay at home mom. My guy and I run a bobcat and excavating buisness but I am more of a secretary for him not a operator haha. We are starting a online bumper sticker which is mostly just a funny hobby. Hasnt quite lifted off the ground yet. I am looking to go back to school to get a degree in either nursing or something else completely random. As long as it makes me happy and lots of money thats where I am headed. I do love being a stay at home mom. So very rewarding.

7. Domoviye

Domoviye New Member

Proud Canadian. Currently teaching in Nanjing, Chi
    Oh goody, now I'm working on a road crew for 3-4 weeks. I'm going to be the guy filling potholes, and waving the go slow sign all day.
    I really should pick one field and stick with it.

8. Torana

Torana Contributor Contributor

Well I have just declined a job that was handed to me on a silver platter cause if I took it I'd only ever see my kids when they were asleep basically, and being a single mother of 2 I really didn't think it was a wise move to make.
    But for now I will stick to photography, it pays alright sop I can't complain :D

9. Heather Louise

good luck with your new nuisness venture word wizard, and i hope you do get to go back to school one day if that's what you want to do.
    and Torana, it's nice that you would put your kids before a new job. my mam does a big of photography herself, although she hasn't tried to sell anything before, lol.
    Heather

10. Torana

I haven't gone out and sold the photos that I personally take, but am going to be paid for taking photos at events, like horse events and so forth. So looking forward to it :D:D:D:D I can't ride anymore so this is a perfect way for me to get involved with them once again

11. Gannon

Gannon Contributor Contributor

I work for Shell which annoys some Green types but they are generally small minded. I scour job boards looking for really hot Project Maintenance Engineers and HSE professionals and bring them into the Shell fold.

I work daily with The Hague and spend all day typing overly pretentious e-mails to lofty members of staff.

Being quite exacting I quite like the over production of immaculate spreadsheets and dealing with higly experienced members of industry.

My job also contains a research element which pleases me as in the smallest of forms it allows me to write and get paid for it - most recently I produced a meet and greet style presentation on Venezuela and its oil production.

I have no technical background in these things and I've learnt a lot - my future prospects in this department aren't great and I'd like a sideways movement into Marketing in Paris still with Shell.

12. wordwizard

wordwizard New Member

Ya switching it up is always fun. Paris would be a wonderful adventure. Good luck with that.

13. SeaBreeze

SeaBreeze Banned

Um.... I work for Shell.... more or less..... I pump it's petrol!!! :( But you wanna know what? After two years without a job, I got this one a week before my birthday last year and I'm reasonably loving it! I wish, however, to be little more better with computers and the 'generic' (plz don't hit me!) job would be a receptionist. My other dream jobs would be: writer, actor or singer.... (the last one consists of me not performing live and having my vocals tuned to perfection with machinery. If that ever gets invented...)

Oh and Gannon??? I believe higly is spelled as Highly! hahaha, couldn't help it! :p :D

14. Kit

Kit Contributor Contributor

I've always wanted to get involved in photography, and i'm hoping to do an evening course in professional photography next september alongside my other studies.

At the moment i'm not working, and i'm a student. However, it's not for lack of trying to find a part-time job that will accomodate the fact that i'm still in sixth form five days a week. Still i'll keep looking and who knows maybe i'll find something in the summer that I can keep up after I go back to school :)

In the future I want to teach modern foreign languages in secondary schools.

15. SeaBreeze

SeaBreeze Banned

Could you teach me? :D

16. Kit

Languages? :S

17. SeaBreeze

SeaBreeze Banned

Yup!

18. Torana

Hah I can speak french, sadly i can only say hello and ask what the date of your birthday is or say where are you? lol

My son who is 3 yrs old can speak spanish.......he learnt from a kids program called Dora The Explorer...he asked me for a drink once in spanish and i sat there not knowing what he was saying lol.

As for photography I had the job handed to me and didn't know a thing about it when I started, I certainly do now though lol :D

19. SeaBreeze

SeaBreeze Banned

Coolies. I can speak a tiny bit of French, Japanese and can say 'chicken' in Macedonian!

20. Heather Louise

i can sorta speak French, or at least i am learning. not doing too good though :(
    btw, Kit, what is the difference between collage and six form? 'cos my mam and dad went to six form but i'll be going to collage.
    Heather

21. Kit

I could have a jolly good go at teaching you lol... I speak French and Spanish quite well :)

And for heather... there isn't a huge difference except 6th form generally follows straight on from school and often you can only do A levels whilst college usually has a wider choice but is considered by most to be more vocational.

6th form normally offers the subjects that are offered at GCSE (with possibly the addition of law, psychology or sociology and things along that route) whilst college will do NVQs and stuff like that.

Hope that helps :)

22. Heather Louise

thanks a lot, it does.
    Heather

23. Alice in Wonderland

Alice in Wonderland New Member

I recently left school (Before I finished my A levels) and moved in with my fiancee. We are both currently looking for jobs.

24. Heather Louise

too bad on not finishing your A levels, did you not want to do them anymore? and good luck with the job search
    Heather

25. Night Haunter

Night Haunter Banned

Whats your occupation what job is it that you do.

Why do you do the job you do and what made you take it.
    if your a student what is it your studying.

I'm currently studying marine Biology and I work as a courrier.