1. marcuslam

marcuslam New Member

Interests outside of writing

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by marcuslam, Mar 10, 2012.

Of course, most of the members here are interested in writing. I'm curious to know what other hobbies you guys have. Reading might also be a given, but what else?

I'm a recreational basketball player. Been playing the game for over ten years now and still loving it as much as the day I started. I grew up in Hong Kong, where anime (Japanese cartoons) were readily available on TV, so I'm still into that. Last, I'm also a gamer. Having a great time with Mass Effect 3 at the moment!

2. Mallory

Mallory Contributor Contributor

Hanging out with friends, improv, psychology, art, computer games.

3. Elgaisma

Elgaisma Contributor Contributor

archaeology, history, courtesy of one of my children birdwatching, walking, talking, swimming -- lots of things lol.

4. Rebel Yellow

Rebel Yellow Active Member

Playing guitar, gaming, playing poker.

I also used to be into anime and manga ! Which ones are your favorites?

I was wondering if Mass Effect 3 was worth buying. I loved the first one, however I thought the sequel was average. Then again maybe I should replay the second one, as I rushed my first playthrough.

5. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

In no particular order, a partial list:

Photography. Computer science. Mathematics and the physical sciences. Science fiction (reading or watching). Hiking and non-technical climbing. Snorkeling. Model building. Cooking. Foreign languages. Peoplewatching. Comic books. Jazz. Saxophone. Wine and beer making. Martial arts. Education. Drawing and painting. Archery.

6. Phoenix Hikari

Phoenix Hikari New Member

Hmmm, let's see. Cooking, singing, sketching, piano (I'm still teaching myself that), playing video games (Final Fantasy in particular), Anime (I love Bleach), Graphic design ( specially video games and Movie covers design), collecting old things (books, pictures, ship-designs) and fashion of course. :D

7. minstrel

minstrel Leader of the Insquirrelgency Supporter Contributor

Folk music, guitar playing, singing, songwriting, mythology, science and technology (I'm an engineer by training), history and current events, movies, and the appreciation of fine whisky.

8. Metus

Metus New Member

I don't have many interests. Other than writing, pc gaming is really it. I'm playing Dragon Age II at the moment. My character is actually my profile pic.

9. Fullmetal Xeno

Fullmetal Xeno Protector of Literature Contributor

My other interests are video games, film, concept art, playing the clarinet and playing baseball. Can't wait to play Mass Effect 3 i don't have it yet though.

10. BFGuru

BFGuru Active Member

Singing (I used to be a voice teacher), Piano, just started taking guitar lessons in January. Working (yes I love my job), day dreaming about all the rennovations and decorating I plan to do once we secure the mortgage to the house we are renting to buy. Knitting, reading (I seem to do more of this than anything since getting a Nook).

11. marcuslam

marcuslam New Member

Thanks for the replies! It's interesting to know the members here have all kinds of hobbies.

Rebel Yellow, yeah, Mass Effect is a game you want to take your time with. I loved ME2, so naturally, I'm loving ME3 as well. As for anime, I'm a fan of Sola and Tokyo Magnitude 8.0, just to name a couple. Have you seen those? I also love a visual novel named Narcissu, if that counts.

That's awesome, Phoenix Hikari! I'm a fan of the Final Fantasy series, too. The old titles, anyway. I've been aiming to finish FFs 1 to 10. Right now, I have 2, 7 and 9 to go.

Metus, yep, I could tell that avatar is from Dragon Age. I've tried playing that game. It got too difficult for me, though. Mass Effect is more accessible.

12. VM80

VM80 Contributor Contributor

How are you finding guitar compared to piano?

For me certainly, once I picked up the guitar, the other went (even more) pretty much out the window.

13. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

i have no hobbies, do nothing 'for fun'... activities outside of writing my own philosophical works include:

mentoring fledgling writers for free
    writing/rewriting/editing books/stories/scripts for fee-paying clients
    setting up and running donation a center and free books program for the in-need

for 'exercise' i do nyt sunday crosswords and the hardest acrostics i can find in book form

non-working down-time is spent reading or watching tv

14. Link the Writer

Link the Writer Flipping Out For A Good Story. Contributor

#1- Playing videogames (usually fantasy videogames)

#2- Coming up with story scenarios, pondering "what if..." by putting various characters in various situations and observe their reactions to it.

15. BFGuru

BFGuru Active Member

I like it, but my dexterity is lacking so I keep going back to the piano. I've been so sick the past few months though and am itching to work on vocalizing again, but I just sound breathy and unpolished so I walk away from the piano as soon as I start to sing.

16. Cogito

Well, the piano really dominates the room, so it's pretty easy to find. The guitar, however, tends to wander and hide... ;)

17. RusticOnion

RusticOnion New Member

Necromancy.

18. Cerrus

Cerrus New Member

Playing guitar, drums, keyboard, and singing. Playing video games, eating, and sleeping. Reading comic books. Drawing cartoons, and comics. Computer programming. This list would go on and on so I'll just say that my interests are everything.

19. BFGuru

BFGuru Active Member

Hehe. Mine actually sits next to my bed. Makes practicing pretty easy and no excuses. And she has a big butt, so she's hard to lose. I call her J-Lo. Took forever to find a case that fit her.

20. Cogito

I guess I should have mentioned another favorite pastime - puns and other forms of word play.

21. BFGuru

BFGuru Active Member

Oh I got your word plays and I laughed pretty loudly. Enough that my four year old gave me strange looks. We just joke in this house that my guitar will never be lost, what with her big butt and all.

22. Gonissa

Gonissa New Member

I love critiquing and editing stuff. It can be books, movies, movie critics, basically anything. I love to gain knowledge just for the sake of having knowledge. Oh, and I like staring at shiny things. And baking. You have no idea until you try it exactly how good Whoppers cheesecake cupcakes are. Tuesday I'm going to experiment with making cookies with caramel on the inside.

23. BFGuru

BFGuru Active Member

Oh I just had a caramel cupcake, with caramel icing and a dollop of gooey caramel inside. I shall be more than happy to taste test your cookies for you.

24. Yoshiko

Yoshiko Contributor Contributor

Right now I'm fascinated with history and wondering why I didn't pay more attention to the subject in high school. Although I'm hoping to go back to college and study it next year along with several other social sciences.

My free time is unvaried. If I'm not writing or reading then I'll be in the gym, at the bar, working on graphics (well, this one is done in my free time but it usually involves voluntarily helping people with web/merch designs) or watching TV dramas.

25. marcuslam

marcuslam New Member

There are quite a few cooks and musicians among us. That's awesome.

Yoshiko, I also wished I'd paid more attention to history during high school!