1. Cuppycake

Cuppycake Member

Poster Presentations of Written work??

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by Cuppycake, Mar 11, 2010.

How can one make a poster presentation for a short story? Should we deal with it similarly to any other presentations?

If anyone has done this before, I'd like to know how you went about doing it :(

Thanks in advance :-D v

2. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Yes, treat it like any other presentation. Lay out four or five key points, centered around the theme of the presentation (which may very well be different from the theme of the story).

Because it is a poster, not a multiple frame presentation, you really need to reduce it to a small number of key points. Beyond about four or five points, your presentation is weakened by every additional point that tries to keep equal standing.

3. Cuppycake

Cuppycake Member

So, I need to put down the key points of the story (e.g. what/ who it's about? the main events in sequence?) and I would elaborate on them?

4. Cogito

Again, the main points are relative to your presentation, which is not necessarily the same as the story itself.

For example, if your presentation is about the moral lessons demonstrated by the story, that would be the basis of selection for the points you would choose to highlight.

Your first task is to decide what message your poster/presentation is trying to deliver.

5. MsMyth71

MsMyth71 Senior Member

Do you have more details for the project? Is it supposed to be a creative representation of your story? Or like a power point presentation(ish) deal on a big poster?

I'd be tempted to read such an assignment as an open door to be creative and really play with a fun way to present my story.

Depends on the criteria for the assignment, I guess.

6. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

i've never heard of such a thing... is it some new kind of promotional gimmick, or what?...

why would anyone want to do this and what purpose would it serve?

7. Cuppycake

Cuppycake Member

MsMyth the aim of it is to represent your creative work in the form of a poster presentation (i.e. paper poster) it's not even that big, a mere A3 one -__-"

To an extent it's not quite comfortable to do this.... and mammamaia I know what you mean ... I've never heard of this before either @_@

8. losthawken

losthawken Author J. Aurel Guay Role Play Moderator Contributor

Is it for a class?

It sounds like it could be a good exercise for looking/thinking about your story in the 'big picture'. Its often good to summarize it down to the main themes and make sure that you don't have rabbit trails.

9. Cogito

I suspect so, which is why I will only discuss it, or allow it to be discussed, in terms of process.

10. mammamaia

cuppycake...

will you please explain what this is and how it's used?

11. Cuppycake

Cuppycake Member

Basically, it's sort of like a "show and tell" type of thing, if I may say. My short story teacher asked us to prepare a poster presentation about the short stories we're working on... like, we need to state what methods we're using, our plans through to submission date... in addition to a critical evaluation on our work so far...

I know this sounds self explanatory... but I was hoping for some more info... perhaps for encouragment (?)

12. Cogito

Well, encouragement is fine - I'm sure you'll shine, now that you've put some thought into the task.

But the site rules prohibit giving detailed assistance on schoolwork. So I'm afraid the details of the assignment are still in your court.

13. Honeybun

Honeybun Active Member

Poster presentation?? Sounds odd... but I'm sure if you deal with it similarly to any given subject you're likely to do well

Good luck!!

14. mammamaia

sure doesn't sound like a 'poster' to me, if it's all writing and no graphics/artwork...