1. Similyn

Similyn New Member

What are the rules on Necro-posting?

Discussion in 'Support & Feedback' started by Similyn, Dec 30, 2011.

I looked through the rules twice just to be sure. What is the position of these forums on necro-posting (posting in threads that are old)? The closest I've seen mention was thread-bumping, which is something usually done by original poster to get more attention.

The reason I ask is because I see some threads that are at least a week or more old that I was considering posting in, but usually posts that old are considered necro-posting and other forums I've visited (not necessarily writing forums) frown on necro-posts. I just don't want to get in trouble unintentionally.

So, how old is too old to respond here?

Thanks ahead of time. :)

2. thirdwind

thirdwind Member Contest Administrator Reviewer Contributor

There isn't really a rule for this on this particular forum. My advice is to use common sense. For example, I wouldn't reply to a thread that's two years old. However, I might reply to a thread that's a few months old assuming I have something useful to contribute.

Replying to a post that's only a few weeks is perfectly fine in my opinion.

3. cruciFICTION

cruciFICTION Contributor Contributor

Nooooo. Please, don't do that.
    We may not have any official rule on the matter, but general intern-etiquette is not to post in anything older than a month. As a rule, I generally try to avoid posting in anything that isn't on the What's New list, and if I go find something else, I don't post in anything older than a week. You don't really have to go by that, but, again, generally it's safe to post in anything less than a month since its last post.

4. the1

the1 Active Member

Post in whatever you want. There are no rules set stating that you shouldn't and if you find a thread that was created on the day this forum was erected and you feel you have something useful and necessary to contribute go ahead and do it. Who cares what others think, it really isn't that big of an issue.

5. Banzai

Banzai One-time Mod, but on the road to recovery Contributor

Post wherever and whatever you want. Nobody minds as long as you're posting something relevant and interesting. If you're just bumping old threads for no reason, you're going to get an e-slap.

6. Steerpike

Steerpike Felis amatus Contributor

As it should be. If someone has a good post to add to a discussion thread, then who cares how old the thread is? On forums that have silly rules regarding this issue, those same people just end up starting a new thread on the same topic.

7. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

yup!... the only old ones that make little/no sense to post on would be if you're commenting on a piece posted for review and the op hasn't been heard from for a long time, thus isn't likely to see your advice...

8. minstrel

minstrel Leader of the Insquirrelgency Supporter Contributor

I think it's perfectly okay to post in any thread, if you have a relevant comment to make. Don't forget, this forum gets new members at a pretty fast rate, and there may be many members here who are interested in a writing-related topic but don't even know an old thread exists for it. Are they to be barred from discussing something relevant and interesting to them simply because the thread is old?