?

Indicate what activities you'd be willing, interested, and able to contribute to.

Poll closed May 24, 2014.
  1. Creating cover art & design

22.2%
  2. Formatting & combiling the newsletter (layout, managing, compiling, organizing)

29.6%
  3. Reading & selecting short story submissions

85.2%
  4. Reading & selecting poetry submissions

40.7%
  5. Creating writing-related articles (tips, tricks, ideas, technique, etc)

55.6%
  6. Conducting author interviews (including contacting authors to be interviewed)

29.6%
  7. Interviewing publishers/agents

3.7%
  8. Reviewing books

44.4%
  9. Managing the ezine team

7.4%
  10. Promoting the newsletter (offsite)

18.5%
  11. I have other ideas I'd be willing to contribute (please share in thread)

3.7%
  12. I want to be involved, I'll help wherever I'm needed

33.3%
  13. I'd like to submit my own writing

37.0%
  14. I'd only read the ezine

3.7%
  15. Not interested

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Daniel

Daniel I'm sure you've heard the rumors Founder Staff

Potential Ezine Volunteer Positions

Discussion in 'Support & Feedback' started by Daniel, May 20, 2011.

This is also related to the recent survey.

We are considering (re)-establishing an ezine/newsletter. In order to do so we'd need a team of specialized, dedicated volunteers. If you'd be interested, please indicate what positions you'd be interested in. Survey is public so you can be contacted in the event we pursue this project. Feel free to specify or discuss in this thread.

Since this project is only being considered as an option at this time, please refrain from sending PMs, but feel free to discuss in this thread.

2. Mister Cheech

Mister Cheech New Member

Well-meaning advice for everybody: only volunteer to do what you're good at. Don't be like "Oh I've never interviewed authors before, sounds fun, I'll do that." It seems counter-intuitive to me.

3. Daniel

Thank you for bringing this up.

I'm looking for individuals who have done these tasks before. Another example: if you have no design experience with Photoshop, please don't volunteer for cover design.

Team members must be reliable and able to meet deadlines.

4. popsicledeath

popsicledeath Banned

Arg, I just bought a Bedazzler so was hoping to land a gig doing cover design and now I read these comments! Oh well.

5. lovely

lovely New Member

I have experience in layout from being editor of my school newspaper, and I have a graphic design minor. I have also interviewed authors before for news papers, and although this isn't my preference, I have done it and would be willing if it came down to it. This could also probably translate to publishers as well. Honestly, I'd be willing to do just about anything and have experience with pretty much everything on the list.

6. J_Jammer

J_Jammer Banned

I have done interviews before. I have not done interviews face to face nor have I done them for a magazine. I have conducted interviews of persons on forums. ha. I ask interesting questions.

I've also given advice on how to make writing better in a writing group I've been with for a year.

professionally I've never done either.

7. Mister Cheech

Mister Cheech New Member

I only thought of this after I finished the survey:

We are on the internet, and podcasts are far more popular than e-zines, so why not do a podcast as well? It might attract new members to the site and I think that kind of content would encourage people to donate.

8. Eunoia

Eunoia Contributor Contributor

It would be great to be involved. The best tasks for me would probably be reading and selecting short stories, and creating writing related articles.

9. popsicledeath

popsicledeath Banned

Podcast would be cool. Some people actually discussing fiction and the industry would be nice to see. Good idea!

My only suggestion would be to keep it short and sweet. I've seen too many interesting and cool podcasts that ran 40 minutes or longer and, just no. Unless you're Ricky Gervais and crew, no thanks.

Also, serious question, are we supposed to be listing credentials in the thread? Just thought some people would maybe perhaps not, or were perhaps waiting for more information/instructions, and don't want to get left out just because they weren't eager enough as to copy/paste their resume to a public forum. I trust if something like this goes forward, more information will be given about how people can 'apply'?

10. hiddennovelist

hiddennovelist Contributor Contributor

I could help with short story selection, book reviews, and promoting the ezine.

11. Cerrus

Cerrus New Member

Oh, well with cover design I am unfamiliar with Photoshop, but am better at pencil drawing. I am still very interested in the other positions that I voted for though.

12. Ashleigh

Ashleigh Contributor Contributor

In the comfort of my stubborn little mind.
    I'd quite enjoy doing author interviews and writing-related articles.

13. Dante Dases

Dante Dases Contributor Contributor

Such as promotion of the ezine would be ideal at first (as right now I have no time), but in the future I'd be happy to contribute in reading and selecting short stories as it's something I've done before, creating writing-related articles and writing book reviews.

14. LordKyleOfEarth

LordKyleOfEarth Contributor Contributor

I'd love to help out. I have dream of starting my own journal and this would be a great way for me to see what all is involved. I'd love to contribute content and help read submissions.

15. cruciFICTION

cruciFICTION Contributor Contributor

I said yes to the following:

Reading & selecting short story submissions
    Reading & selecting poetry submissions
    Creating writing-related articles (tips, tricks, ideas, technique, etc)
    Conducting author interviews (including contacting authors to be interviewed)
    Reviewing books

On a second note after having voted, though, I realise that you probably mean real, published authors and not authors from this site, and I probably won't be able to do that.
    The rest, however, I would consider myself to be moderately well-skilled in. I used to review novels for my blog (no longer exists); mostly novels by authors who had only written just the one novel. I've also been told by a few friends (who have trustworthy commendations of other people) that I'm a very fair critic.

16. J_Jammer

J_Jammer Banned

I didn't think of it like that. In that case....I have zero qualifications to do that.

I can research and ask questions accordingly. And listen to the answers to know what to ask next, not just the next question. There has to be leeway in the asking to know that just maybe an answer will lend itself to a different route.

17. ziggification

ziggification Member

I'm an encyclopedic writer and adult trainer -- i.e., I wrote short instructional pieces and teach people who to improve basic communication skills.

I don't want to submit fictional pieces because there's just too much room for heartache in that dept. But I am a fast and specifically-critical reader, I can get through about 100 pages a night and provide detailed commentary on areas that need improvement.

Going off of the poll results it seems like you need some people in the graphic design department. Why not take on an intern? Summer is coming up and I'm sure you could find a sophomore or junior who is looking to build up their portfolio with a project of this nature.

18. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

since i've been a full time mentor off the site for years, i'd certainly be willing to do so here, if i can... i'd need some more info on what would be required time-wise, though...

19. elneilio10

elneilio10 New Member

Old thread this but most definitely still unlocked. :D

Would be interested in helping out (within reason) but undecided on whereabouts exactly.

Used to teach English (with a degree of proof-reading thrown in), wrote one MS (memoirs - received 2 naff offers to have it published) with a great love of science, nature, reading/writing.

And as I refuse to get a proper job *cough*, I've got all the time in the world! :D

Would love to interview authors.

Must say I'm not at all good at art / music / singing etc. ;)

20. Daniel

Thanks for expressing your interest in the ezine/newsletter. I haven't forgotten or abandoned this project - it's something I want to happen. First thing's first though, and we must upgrade the site software. I have a few other things on the site that need improved as well, but I'd like to set-up a test-run of the newsletter this year (a fall or more likely winter issue).

I do like this idea a lot. Thanks for the suggestion. What we could do is release an online version (single or multi-page), a newsletter-email version, a pdf version, and a podcast version. Maybe someday a print version! ;)

I love the idea of a podcast or radio show discussing the writing industry. I don't have much experience with podcasts though, so this is definitely an area I'd need some help with. Imagine if we could not only get email author interviews, but a phone call interview on the podcast!

No worries, credentials are not necessary at this point. Right now this is more in the planning/structuring stage on my end. I image we'll have 2-3 people for each major task and 1-2 or the smaller ones. If you'd like to mention credentials in this thread you can, but I plan on contacting everyone who's expressed interest when the time approaches.

More information will be provided. I'll either open up an application process or contact everyone who voted in the poll personally.

This thread is more to gauge interest and to come up with ideas.

21. ManOrAstroMan

ManOrAstroMan Magical Space Detective Contributor

I would love to get involved in something like this. It's been a while since working on school magazines, and I would love the chance to put my graphic design degree to work.
    It was pretty cool knowing that my highschool yearbook was mostly my layout, and I had a ball writing articles and interviews for school magazines in college.
    I just wish this had happened at some other time. Between my dayjob and looking after my parents and their medical issues, I probably wouldn't be able to devote the necessary time.