Potential Volunteer Positions

Discussion in 'Support & Feedback' started by Daniel, May 20, 2011.

?

Which position(s) are you interested in?

1. Reviewer - Write consistent, frequent, quality reviews in the Writing Workshop.

44.2%
  2. Mentor - Willingly offer writing tips, advice, and encouragement.

23.4%
  3. Contest Judge - Judges for special writing contests, willing to be impartial and not participate.

44.2%
  4. Newsletter/Ezine Team Member - We'd like to resurrect the E-Zine, but need a skilled, committed team

19.5%
  5. Development Team - Have a skillset? We're putting together a team to help WF grow into the future.

16.9%
  6. Project Volunteers - We occasionally need volunteers to run things like the Bi-Weekly Contests & RPG

26.0%
  7. Support Team - A group willing to answer support threads, emails, and PMs on basic WF use questions

36.4%
  8. Other - If you have an idea for another volunteer position or site feature, please mention it below.

2.6%
  9. Article Team - A team to write quality writing/publishing articles, ideally on an editorial calendar

6.5%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Jayyy1014

Jayyy1014 Jerrica Contributor

I would be very willing to help support other writers :D Also to help with any questions other members may have, and to greet newcomers! :) It's always nice to feel welcomed in a new place where you know absolutely no one!

2. DBTate

DBTate New Member

I'd be happy to greet new members and help them integrate in to this great community of ours :)

I'm on often enough, so I might as well do something useful! ;)

3. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

I posted elsewhere in the forum as to the need to revive the Reviewer Status. Would love to be the first of a new incarnation....

4. Daniel

Daniel I'm sure you've heard the rumors Founder Staff

I too think we should bring it back. Originally I intended to with a custom modification for the Writing Workshop that would make it something systematic and automatic, with certain criteria for promotion/demotion of reviewer status. I could never find a coder to do it properly, however. I would like to bring it back, but there needs to be a mechanism to ensure Reviewers write high quality reviews and that they do so regularly and consistently. I'm open to ideas.

5. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

I agree. This was the trouble last time. The status was little more than just that, a status symbol. I think there will always be flux and movement in a position like this, no different than with mods, but maybe with some guidance and some goals it could be more than just a badge of honor. Again, I would love to try and put something together in this vein. There are some folks I already see rather dedicated to jumping on the new stories and giving meaningful critiques. Would you be alright with me maybe chatting a few of these members up, knocking some ideas around?

6. Daniel

Absolutely, please do.

The easiest way could be to establish certain criteria to become a reviewer. Such as having a reputation for good/frequent reviews, having made a certain number of reviews, and writing reviews of good quality. There could also be specific criteria for remaining a review - writing high quality reviews, X reviews/week, etc. We would just need someone to check this criteria is maintained, which can be a dull and time-consuming job to do manually. Perhaps reviewers could submit a weekly post in a thread linking to their reviews for that week where they show that they've met the criteria? This would allow so sort of self-accountability. I just don't want to make the position unappealing.

7. Daniel

In regard to these other positions in this poll:

We could still use people for virtually all the positions.

Mentor: Instead of calling it Mentor, we'd call it something else. But I think it'd be valuable for members who have experience in writing, publishing, etc. to be recognized and contribute their knowledge to the community. If you were in the publishing industry, were an agent, a creative writing professor, etc., there are many ways you can contribute. As I mentioned here, I'd like to add a article/blog section, but I want to keep it high quality and useful. If you have such experience or knowledge, this would be a good opportunity to get involved.

Judge: I'd like to launch a contest soon, and if possible, have several contests each year. To do this though I really need a team of reliable judges.

Newsletter/ezine Team: As I mentioned in the Call for Volunteers thread, I'd like to resurrect the e-zine if there's enough interest. But we need a sizable, knowledgeable, resourceful team to pull this off. If you're interested I encourage you to contact me to get involved.

Development Team: Growing WritingForums.org involves much more than posting and paying the hosting bills. We need to grown and promote the site. This is a very large job, and unless I did this on my own full time (and maybe even then), WF might not grow to what it can. This job wouldn't be easy and might not be rewarding unless you're interested and have such skills. If this team is made, you could contribute by being WF's beta testers for new features and ideas, by helping develop smaller writing sites, promoting WF online (reddit, twitter, facebook, email, etc.), through using programming skills (we could use a mobile app/style), or through graphic skills (I have several different banners that could be made: general promotional banners, supporter membership banners, contest banners, banners for contest, weekly contests, other site features for promotion within this very site). In sort, if you have skills in designing, programing, web development, and marketing, you could certainly contribute.

Project Volunteers: There are likewise many general or other opportunities to contribute and volunteer. You can create high quality sticky-worth threads, compile resources, volunteer to run on-site projects like the weekly contests, word of the day, RPG, or other new projects. You can help with some of the new features I'm planning (spoiler: a possible publisher and/or writing resource directory - evaluate and entering information/reviews), etc.

Support Team: I have several opportunities here as well. Unfortunately, this job would probably be the least enjoyable, but would be highly appreciated. I get a handful of emails and PMs every day about basic questions of using WritingForums.org, the Writing Workshop, ban/infraction complaints, general questions, etc. Unfortunately, when I spend time answering and replying these that is time that I can't spend developing new features and growing WF. This position would be almost like an employee or intern - you would be representing WF.

Of course, if we do develop any or all of these teams, I would do my best to reward and recognize your contribution. As always, I'm open to ideas for positions, developing teams, getting the community involved, developing new features, or otherwise bettering WF.

8. Thomas Kitchen

Thomas Kitchen Proofreader in the Making Contributor

I'd happily volunteer as a contest judge, as I usually have enough projects going on that I simply don't have time to enter contests on this forum. So, if I'm needed, I'm here. :)

9. Ian J.

Ian J. Active Member

I'd volunteer for something, if only I had half-decent skills at anything. I'm struggling to get my life onto an even keel whilst up against unemployment, so right now probably isn't the right time to divert that energy. However, as and when things stabilize, I'd certainly consider volunteering for something I can do that's of value to the forum.

10. Billaferd

Billaferd New Member

I don't have my two weeks waiting time in. But I like the community. I've been a software engineer for about 9 years now. Three of those years I was webmaster of a few thousand websites for a hosting company. I've used numerous languages and protocols including php, HTML and CSS. I am also well versed in SEO and online marketing.

I have also spent time at a support desk, so I know how to troubleshoot and talk people through technical problems as well. I like talking with new people so I actually enjoyed my help desk gigs. :)

11. Dagolas

Dagolas Banned

I'd be happy to judge any of the competitions, I don't participate in them and I know how to be impartial.

12. ProWriter

ProWriter New Member

Iwould like to see some movie directors on here so if they like your story they can turn it into a movie.

13. ProWriter

ProWriter New Member

*I would

14. Chinspinner

Chinspinner Contributor Contributor

I am interested in becoming an arbiter of all things worthwhile. As such I will have ultimate power to misconstrue the posts of others in the most self-righteous manner I can possibly muster and delete them without reason. My title will be Judge Chinspinner.

15. Shannon M Metcalf

Shannon M Metcalf New Member

I'm new to this site, but I'm already loving it and will bookmark it as well. I've been writing since the fifth grade and I'm 24 now. I didn't start novel writing until the twelfth grade, but already have one up on Amazon Kindle and am planning on putting my second completed on up as well. I just wanted to let you know that I love to write and after these last couple of days, have a newly found passion for blogging. I'd more than love to volunteer! :)

16. Shannon M Metcalf

Shannon M Metcalf New Member

*planning on putting my second completed one up as well. (Sorry for the typo and thanks to who pointed that out). :)

17. Charlemagne Swift

Charlemagne Swift New Member

I was wondering, are there any requirements (activity, age of account, etc.) that we would need to fulfil before we can apply for a position? Since I have experience with reading and have read a variety of books, both good and bad, I can easily give constructive feedback and critique others, so I could possibly fit a position like reviewer or judge well.

Oscar Leigh likes this.
  18. Oscar Leigh

Oscar Leigh Contributor Contributor

I like to think I already help out a little bit by being active on the new member threads and stuff like that. But of course that's not much. So I could do something else, if I'm considered qualified. (Has never had a job before) Please wait till the second day before you fire me? :p

A man called Valance likes this.
  19. Komposten

Komposten Insanitary pile of rotten fruit Contributor

If you want to be a Reviewer you should send a message to @Wreybies. He'll get you started. Just so you know, though, you don't need to be a Reviewer to give feedback to others. Just go to the Workshop and start giving critiques! :)

20. Mumble Bee

Mumble Bee Keep writing. Contributor

I nominate @Oscar Leigh to be the equivalent of our Walmart Greeter.

His duties would include (and be absolutly limited to, NO GOING OFF SCRIPT!)
    -saying hello to new people
    -warning them this is a mad house
    -linking the new member guide stuff
    -hiding @Cave Troll till they've invested too much time here to leave

21. Oscar Leigh

Oscar Leigh Contributor Contributor

I accept. :superagree:

A man called Valance likes this.
  22. Cave Troll

Cave Troll It's Coffee O'clock everywhere. Contributor

Where cushions are comfy, and straps hold firm.
    I am feeling all the love, so you want me to hide from the newbies? I had no idea I was that scary. Am I really that bad? O_O

SniperJokeMeme.jpg :supergrin::supergrin::supergrin::supergrin::superlaugh::superlaugh::superlaugh::superlaugh:

I am all sad, can't say hi to the newbs no more.:cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry:
    Techsupport.jpg
    Well Ok, guess I will hide and play the keys quietly in my cave.:supergrin::cry:

Oscar Leigh and Mumble Bee like this.
  23. ShannonH

ShannonH Senior Member Contest Winner 2023

I'd happily offer up some time to help with the support team.

24. dragonflare137

dragonflare137 Member

If you are still in need of volunteers, I'm willing (and "qualified") to do support, developing, and project volunteering. I'm really free on time right now, so if you need it I've got the time to do it:)