1. Artemus19

Artemus19 Member

POV Dilemma

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by Artemus19, May 20, 2016.

I've got two characters, one's a soldier who serves on a daily basis, and another who is a civilian scientist. Now, my question is, if I want to do a sort of thing where, say, the soldier's POV is in first person, and the scientist's is in third, is that feasible to do without making things to complex? Because I feel like the soldier has a reaaaally specific first person voice, where as my civilian scientist has more of a broadened scope when it comes to the surrounding nature of the city this takes place in. What would be your suggestion on how to handle something like that when it comes down to it?

2. Steerpike

Steerpike Felis amatus Supporter Contributor

Yes, you can do that. There are published books that do this, and they are not confusing or complex. Some have a first person POV and multiple third person POVs.

3. EdFromNY

EdFromNY Hope to improve with age Supporter Contributor

Example - Hemingway's To Have and Have Not.

You could also do two first person POVs (Elizabeth Kostova did three in The Swan Thieves), but the challenge there is to make their narrative voices distinctly different (Kostova didn't quite get there).

4. GingerCoffee

GingerCoffee Web Surfer Girl Contributor

Ooh ooh, I know I know. I just learned about this:

Deep 3rd person POV

Fernando.C likes this.
  5. Tea@3

Tea@3 Contributing Member

I've seen it done, when the story needs to venture onto a side path with a chapter (s) focusing on the other characters.

Last edited: May 21, 2016
  6. Steerpike

Steerpike Felis amatus Supporter Contributor

Not every first person story "invariably" had to focus on other characters for a time. A lot of them never do. That's up to the author to decide. But if you want to shift to other characters, you can. Either by a third person view or another first person. I've even seen it go to second person.

7. Artemus19

Artemus19 Member

Thank you all for your replies. Wonderful responses. I think I'm going to go with the first to third and back again option. The story allows it, I think, based on the locations of the characters at the given point in time.