1. Lifeline

Lifeline The Dark - not in Wonderland Supporter Contributor

POV's to be killed

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by Lifeline, Mar 10, 2016.

I throw a question out to you all - because I am unsure and would like your opinions before I make my choice.

I am writing a novel from two main MC's (both POV). A tactical commander and the other his counterpart as leader of guerilla forces. These two are locked in a whole lot of struggles down the road but the details don't matter.

I want to depict the realities of war, specifically from both high command and from foot-level. Now, the command is covered (MC1). But he sees only what he is eyewitness to, which is not the level of the common soldier. And the guerilla leader (MC2) has a very different 'army' if you can call it that.
    I am currently reading a really valuable account "Quartered safe out there" if anyone is interested. This is written from foot-level, Burma war. It gives me realities which are vastly different from command-viewpoint as in "Company Commander", written from command-level in Afghanistan. Also factual.

So my question is this. I have one young soldier who has raised his face and become more than a number within the army of MC1. I know he will get killed five chapters down. I could use him, I could make him POV and give this missing viewpoint from foot-level. But would the reader accept? After getting to like him as POV and rooting for him? Because that would result.

Any thoughts???

2. Lifeline

Okay, question solved.

Sorry for posting prematurely, but apparently my backbrain needs to see words on screen to come up with a solution.
    For anyone interested.. there is now a new POV (and not the young soldier but his mate in their troop). This will provide the POV of a whole half-troop, all 15 of them because you can't separate one soldier from his mates. They will stand and laugh down their noses at anyone who tries to part them ;)

3. Tenderiser

Tenderiser Not a man Contest Administrator Supporter Contributor

Lifeline: the resident serial killer.

:D

Lifeline likes this.
  4. Lifeline

I should add that as signature :D :rolleyes:

Tenderiser likes this.