1. B-Gas

B-Gas New Member

Power Boost- Okay or not?

Discussion in 'Character Development' started by B-Gas, Dec 23, 2007.

As those of you who read my plot summary (both of you :S) will know, I've got a major chunk of my novel revolving around the plot hook that the main villain, at one point, locked away within himself a bunch of the other major characters' powers. At a later point in the novel, he loses any trace of a moral compass and unlocks the powers, which provides him with a nasty power boost- from telepathy and slow-paced biological creation to telekinesis, mental command (which doesn't function on the major characters, because they have big parts of him inside them), and mind-rape (causing major mental stress by dredging up bad memories- this does work on major characters).

Now, more generally, do you think that power boosts are acceptable for villain-oriented plot developments? I think I've got mine pretty solidly justified, but I'd like to see what everyone else thinks. I'm talking about such ideas as Going Berserk, A God Am I and, of course, the Secret Super-Form. What do you think?

2. Kid At <3

Kid At <3 New Member

I think that would be fine. Does the villan go so mad with power that he destroys himself?

3. B-Gas

B-Gas New Member

No- I've posted the plot overview in the Plot Development forum. (i put that in the first sentence of the post, but I can see how that could be missed) And anyway, that practically constitutes a Moral, which is something I can't stand. What I was getting at is the whole idea of power boosting- is it sloppy writing, or is it acceptable?

4. Kid At <3

Kid At <3 New Member

I think it all depends on how you write it. Fantasy is a really flexible genre. You can basically do anything you want- it's the world that -you- created in your head after all. :)