1. JetBlackGT

JetBlackGT Senior Member

Editor Discussion Pre-press proof

Discussion in 'Self-Publishing' started by JetBlackGT, Jul 8, 2015.

Does anyone use a pre-press proof company that does a decent job for a reasonable cost?

To print a copy of a 150,000 word manuscript will run about $60 on 8 1/2 x 11 sheets. I'd like an actual bound novel that I can hold and edit that way. I find a ton more errors when reading an actual book, compared to reading it on my computer.

I'm concerned that if I use a self-publisher to generate a proof-copy (~$4.00) they will have a claim to the book if I publish it traditionally, which is the goal. The proof will be assigned an ISBN and obviously I don't want any problems once the book goes to print in the real world.

Any advice?

In summary, I need a printing company (not a publishing company) who will print a copy of my book without charging me $60 or making me buy 80 copies. :meh:

2. BayView

BayView Huh. Interesting. Contributor

What do you mean by "use a self-publisher"?

Like, CreateSpace or Lightning Source? They're not publishers, and they don't ever have any claim on your book that I can think of. I don't know at what stage their ISBNs are assigned, but if you're just looking for a proof copy, you could make up a random title and author for the book, and I don't think there'd be an issue.

Not sure what you're asking, though, so maybe none of this is on topic.

3. JetBlackGT

JetBlackGT Senior Member

The ISBN is assigned in the step after you choose a title. At that point the book's text is associated with that ISBN.

4. peachalulu

peachalulu Member Reviewer Contributor

I was able to buy a proof copy of my story The Worms of Wicher Woo through CreateSpace for cost. It came out pretty good.
    Are you worried about it being considered published by using one of these printers? As far as I know you don't have to make it available for sale.

JetBlackGT likes this.
  5. JetBlackGT

JetBlackGT Senior Member

Exactly. I'm worried it will be considered self-published by CreateSpace once it's been assigned a number which is associated with CreateSpace.

6. peachalulu

peachalulu Member Reviewer Contributor

Mmm. I'm not sure on the legality of it. I thought they only owned the number and the package - like if you wanted to sell it to a publisher you couldn't use the same cover that you used with them. They own more the package than the content. But I'm not certain on it. Some of these sites are highly confusing. You could go to the Create Space forum and ask them though. A lot of people on there know the ins and outs.

7. BayView

BayView Huh. Interesting. Contributor

There shouldn't be any way for anyone to access the content. So even if there was an ISBN assigned, it would be for an unpublished book, assuming you never actually publish it. (printing =/= publishing). If you're really concerned, you could use a different title and author name, as I suggested, but... your book won't be published until it's in front of the public. I don't think this is something you need to worry about.

peachalulu likes this.