1. SuperVenom

SuperVenom Contributing Member

Press Print to Continue.....

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by SuperVenom, Jun 28, 2014.

So come on....when is the first time you are brave enough to press print on your novel?

Is it once the first draft is complete or chapters or never? lol

And does anyone hesitate before doing it, the dreaded looming over the button wondering if its too early to consider your words on paper.

2. Mike Kobernus

Mike Kobernus Contributing Member

For me the issue is simply the expense!

But it is soon time.

After the second draft seems reasonable to me.

SuperVenom likes this.
  3. SuperVenom

SuperVenom Contributing Member

I have to admit i printed half way through first draft. I was going off at a tangent i didn't like and needed to look back and forth quickly to gain sight of teh time line better. Scrolling the pages just hurt eyes and confused. The printed version allowed me to mark where specific events etc were. Got me back on track and up to writing again. :)

4. Link the Writer

Link the Writer Flipping Out For A Good Story. Contributor

I've printed out copies of scenes for a creative workshop I attended a few years ago. Does that count? :p

5. EdFromNY

EdFromNY Hope to improve with age Supporter Contributor

I printed out the completed first draft because I wanted hard copy to edit. After a round of revision, I printed a second draft, and another round of corrections. The 3rd draft goes to my beta-readers.

6. thirdwind

thirdwind Contributing Member Contest Administrator Reviewer Contributor

Never. I've printed stuff out before, but it had no effect on how I edit/revise. So I might as well save some paper and ink.

xanadu likes this.
  7. Aled James Taylor

Aled James Taylor Contributing Member Contributor

I haven't used hard copy to aid editing. I find the contents table feature in word very useful. My novel is broken down into small sections, each with a title. The contents table gives an overview of everything and tells you which page each part is on.

8. Wreybies

Wreybies The Ops Pops Operations Manager Staff Contest Administrator Supporter Contributor

This. I've done it and having it in paper form just didn't provide any sort of other dynamic that supports the expense of doing it.

9. jannert

jannert Contributing Member Supporter Contributor

It makes sense to read and edit off the computer, doesn't it?

Trouble is, that's not how I read. I write at my desk with my desktop computer and customised setup, but when it comes to reading, that just doesn't work for me. I guess I'm old-fashioned. I seem to need a hard copy to sit and read in comfort—and to scribble on. I may invest in a tablet at some stage, but not just yet.

I not only print off my own story to edit, but I also print off any I'm beta-reading. I often use what my journalist husband calls 'gash' paper ...re-using paper that is printed on one side only. I have an old printer and am able to buy cheap ink cartridges on eBay, so expense isn't a big deal either.

So far this suits me, but I may morph into a tablet reader at some stage. I really don't like laptops though. I hate having to charge them up all the time, the fact that they get hot, and most of all, I hate the flat keyboards. (I do own a laptop that I never use for all these reasons.) So ...for the time being it's print, paper and pen to scribble with!

10. TWErvin2

TWErvin2 Contributing Member Contributor

I recently wrote an article that discussed 5 strategies' to edit one's work. Printing out a manuscript was one of them. It can be very effective.

Here's the link to the article if anyone's interested: Five Strategies for Self-Editing

11. xanadu

xanadu Contributing Member Contributor

This is me, as well. I'm very comfortable editing on my computer, and the price of ink is just way too high to justify printing out anything that isn't going to be read by more eyes than just my own.

I do, however, print out pieces I'm going to critique--more so that I can read them anywhere (since I hate using my phone for internet). But when I do, I cut the margins really close, shrink the font, and print it on fast draft so that I'm minimizing my paper and ink usage.