Pro-Fighting fans

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Shadow Dragon, Jul 12, 2009.

Tags:
  1. Shadow Dragon

Shadow Dragon Contributor Contributor

Yeah, I loved that flying punch he added after Bisping was already down. What I would like to see is for GSP to fight up a weight class and challenge Silva for the middle weight title.

2. hiddennovelist

hiddennovelist Contributor Contributor

That would be an epic fight. And I honestly don't know who I would root for, they're both such amazing fighters.

3. Shadow Dragon

No offense to Silva, but my money would be on GSP. Silva has beaten some talented people, but it seems like GSP just walks through everyone that's put in front of him.

4. Forkfoot

Forkfoot Caitlin's ex is a lying, abusive rapist. Contributor

I'm having a hard time getting excited about Silva-Griffin, just cuz I can't think of a way for him to win that wouldn't get a writer reamed for deus ex machina.

I think if Hendo's smart enough to take the fight down and keep it there, he might be able to Couture a decision out of Silva. More likely, though, he'll probably just try and stand with him again.

5. Shadow Dragon

Man, am I the only one who thinks Griffon has a good chance of winning?

6. Forkfoot

I dunno, man, who knows? Griffin is a really big 205er, and he says he's been working on his wrestling. If he can get it to the ground, who knows? We don't even know if that body-triangle thing Silva does from his guard will work on a guy Forrest's size. But he just has so many more tools than Forrest, so many more ways to end a fight. His striking is in another universe, and his BJJ is a helluva lot better, too.

7. Agreen

Agreen Faceless Man Contributor

Just stopping in to say I saw highlights from the Anderson fight and I'm very happy with it. I honestly don't want to see him fight GSP because I don't see GSP winning- from what I saw of his fight tonight he soundly beat a top level guy two weightclasses above GSP.

Also, I'm disappointed by the main event but not surprised.

8. Forkfoot

Damn! Anderson and BJ are just unfairly good at what they do.

BJ's sub was so sweet. He threw freaking liver strikes with his heel from back control, which I've never seen anyone do, and the second Kenflo moved his hand to try and defend, Penn slapped on the choke. That's the difference between a really good BJJ blackbelt and a world-class BJJ blackbelt right there.

What was Forrest thinking trying to stand with Silva? One simply does not do that! You'd think he would have learned by the second knockdown. Oh, well. KO with a jab. Freakin' awesome.

I hate, hate, hate, hate Dan Miragliotta. Why in the world does that man still have a job?

9. Agreen

What did he do this time?

10. Forkfoot

Another ridiculously early stoppage. Sadollah-Hendricks. I was really looking forward to that fight, too.

11. hiddennovelist

Honestly, my money would probably be on GSP, too. He just seems so unstoppable. Looks at what he needs to do and just gets it done. The man is a machine.

I got off work ridiculously late and missed everything, but Joel found a video of the Silva fight. Kind of a sad knockout for Griffin, man. I expected him to do a lot better, Silva made him look kind of shabby, IMO.

I didn't get to see the Penn fight, but I'm bummed that he won. Gahhhh I can't stand BJ Penn! Oh well...he's a talented fighter, I've got to give him that.:rolleyes:

12. hiddennovelist

Ok, I've been thinking about the Silva/Griffin fight, and does anyone else think that something was going on with Forrest? I didn't think he seemed like his usual fighter self to begin with, and then the knockout? Not a punch that I would expect to knock someone out. Then, when he was on the ground, Silva went to keep fighting because the ref hadn't stopped the match, and Forrest waved his hands like "no, I'm done." I don't remember ever seeing Forrest get knocked down and give up when he was still conscious. And then he and his people left like the minute the fight was over.

It all just seems odd to me. Am I the only one?

13. Agreen

There were rumours he suffered a broken jaw and hearing damage during the fight- and even when he got up he looked like he was stumbling around a bit which may have caused him to do that. Also, he's always been emotional after his losses- I can't remember if he stayed for the interview, but he cried and then ran out of the cage after the Jardine fight. Didn't Sherk also acknowledge to the ref he was done after the Penn flying knee, or was it his corner that stopped the fight?

14. Forkfoot

Why do people keep saying he was waving the ref off? The dude was KTFO; he was out. They called it a KO, after all, not a TKO. I saw some twitching, but that's not the same thing.

With regard to the punch used, it is unusual to have a KO from a jab, but not unheard of. It's what happens when opportunity meets perfect timing and perfect technique. And Silva's got one of the best jabs in MMA.

I think that was our typical, everyday Forrest, unfortunately. Like I said in this thread before the fight, Griffin's striking is not even in the same universe as Anderson's. And, while I was hoping Griffin would try to use his size to bully Silva to the ground, I don't think I've ever once seen that man go for a takedown.

15. Agreen

WEC tonight was awesome as always. The main event was... well, I thought he was going to win, but not like that.

For the Forrest ko, the final punch reminds me somewhat of the punch Petruzelli used to knock out Kimbo Slice. Anderson's shown before if he can land cleanly even if it isn't a huge shot, he can put someone out.

16. Azhigher

Azhigher Active Member

I was thinking the same thing when I saw it...

17. hiddennovelist

Dude, I watched the video of the fight twice, and you see Anderson stop cause he knows it was a KO, then start to move toward Griffin because the ref wasn't stopping the fight, and then Griffin waves his hands like "no, no, I'm done."

I just thought something seemed off about the whole thing...but I like to make things more exciting than they are, so I wanted to see if anyone else felt that way or if it was all in my head. :rolleyes: