1. LadyWriterOnTheTV

LadyWriterOnTheTV Member

Copying from OpenOffice to Word - how to un-double-space?

Discussion in 'Writing Software and Hardware' started by LadyWriterOnTheTV, Jul 18, 2013.

I started a document in OpenOffice, but when I copy/pasted it into a Word 2002 document, it came out as double-spaced. I don't want it double-spaced. I'm not having any success at causing it to un-double-space. Does anyone know if there is a way, and, if so, could they please share the instructions?

2. GingerCoffee

GingerCoffee Web Surfer Girl Contributor

If it's like Mac Word, select the whole article (control a) and go to "format" on the menu bar then select "paragraph" and you'll find a place to adjust line spacing.

3. hummingbird

hummingbird Member

The quickest way is probably to change the the options under Format->Paragraph to be single spaced with 0pt before and after each line.
    You can also modify or create a text style that is single spaced, and select the text and change it to that style. That would be under Format->Styles and Formatting.

I could tell you exactly how to do it in Word 2010, but I haven't used Word 2002 in ages, so I can't give detailed instructions. Hopefully you can figure it out.

4. Steerpike

Steerpike Felis amatus Contributor

Save the file as a Word document (.doc) from within OpenOffice itself, then re-open it in Word instead of cutting and pasting.

5. psychotick

psychotick Contributor Contributor

Hi,

If the worst comes to the worst you can nuke it. Cut the whole document (ctrl a then ctrl c) and paste it as unformatted text. However try Hummingbird's idea first. Select the lot and then format the paragraph for single space. If that doesn't work it may be that its not a spacing issue at all but that there are extra lines in the text. I.e. you've hit enter too many times. There's a way to kill this too. Do find and replace. Open the box, and in the find slot hit return two times and then in the replace box hit return it only once. Than hit replace all. I've used this option a couple of times and it does work.

Cheers, Greg.

6. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

You can also Save As... -> Text document. Then you can examine the text before importing it into a new document. I've done this many times at work to resurrect hopelessly mangled Word documents, usually the result of massive copy/pastes by multiple authors from multiple sources. Believe me when I say that the cruft you find in mangled manuscripts is nothing compared to a mutilated business document!

7. Dryriver

Dryriver New Member

I have done LibreOffice Write save to Word .DOC format, and it worked without a problem. Don't know if OpenOffice Write can do this too?

8. Steerpike

Steerpike Felis amatus Contributor

It can. That's the best way to go about it if you're going to open the document in Word.

9. Terok

Terok New Member

This will do it.

1. Click on Replace, it’s in the Editing section of the Home tab, (I’m using Office 2007)
    2. In the Find what: area, hit the space bar twice
    3. In the Replace with: area, hit the space bar once.
    4. Click Replace All.

This way you won’t lose any formatting or styling.

10. hummingbird

hummingbird Member

"Double spaced" generally means there is a blank line in between every line of text. It does not mean there are two space keys next to each other. So your example would not solve the original problem.
    It's a good solution to the habit of typing two spaces after a period, though (which I fully admit I do).

11. JetBlackGT

JetBlackGT Senior Member

I love autocorrect (but it won't fix the double-spaced problem the OP would like to address).

I once changed the secretary's auto-correct to misspell our company name and the important words like "quality", "service" and "thorough". I made a list and emailed it to her after she discovered it (in about an hour) so the damage was not too great. It only would have been mean if I had not told her and she had sent stuff out that way. :)