1. superpsycho

superpsycho New Member

Problems with New Thread Button

Discussion in 'Support & Feedback' started by superpsycho, Apr 3, 2012.

It seems the "Post New Thread" button in the Work Shop area has been really flaky the last three days, disappearing most of the time. When it is there it either throws you to the rules thread or gives you a "your not allowed" message. If you notice there hasn't been a new story, poem or sample added in three days when usually there's several a day. I suspect the site may have developed a bug.

2. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

i just checked a couple of sections there and all i got when i hit the button was the site rules!

3. superpsycho

superpsycho New Member

Yep been that way for four days now.

4. Banzai

Banzai One-time Mod, but on the road to recovery Contributor

Yeah, the staff are aware of it. We're hoping Daniel will have it fixed soon; it's a pain in the arse for everyone!

5. superpsycho

superpsycho New Member

Building up a cache of work and not being able to share it. I suspect people will be having symptoms of withdrawal. Anxiety attacks, cramps, extreme nervousness, heat flashes and other things. Or could that just be menopause.

I have realized the "Post New Thread" button flips from enabled to disabled and back once an hour at 26 minutes after. Is someone trying to mess with our heads?

6. mammamaia

another major pain in the nether parts is navigating... it's taking a lot of tries this and that way today, to get back to the previous pages... wish that could be fixed! :(

7. superpsycho

superpsycho New Member

People are going to run out of things to review, I suspect they'll fix it sooner or later. They may have a lot on their plates right now.

8. Agatha Christie

Agatha Christie New Member

problem posting on short stories/humour

Every time I go onto short stories/humour/post a new thread, all I get are 'forum rules' etc.

I can see stories already posted but I cannot post my own story. What's the answer??

9. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

No one will run out of writing to critique. There are hundreds, if not thousands, of critiquable threads. There is no reason not to critique older pieces. The critiquer is the one who benefits most from the exercise in any case.

I'm sure Daniel will make this top priority when he has a chance to fix it.

10. superpsycho

superpsycho New Member

It's probably just a small bug that's developed or from something being added around the time it started. We just have to be patience. Unfortunately many people didn't come to the site to critique but to publish and get critiqued, so I don't how much patience they'll have. Especially those who have already waited 14 days to publish and are now being told they have to wait days or weeks more.

11. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

"Getting critiqued" is overrated. But no one really believes that at first.

You learn far more as a writer by digging deeply into someone else's writing to find ways to improve it. In the process, you discover a lot about your own writing - far more than you ever learn by hearing other people's opinions on your work.

The greatest discoveries about your writing are the things you won't hear from someone else's comments. You reject those things as not being your style, or just plain wrong. When you see the same things in someone else's writing, and why it doesn't work, that;'s when you take a good look at your own writing.

It's a humbling experience, as most of the best learning experiences are. It's also the reason our requirements for the Writing Workshop are so strict.

The current defect in the New Thread button is inconvenient. I hope Daniel can get to it soon. But it isn't a disaster. It won't impede anyone's growth as a writer. And if a few people take the opportunity to instead do in-depth critiques of existing writing, maybe we'll make not only lemonade from lemons, but perhaps nectar.

1 person likes this.
  12. superpsycho

superpsycho New Member

It's not me you have to convince. The reality is there are a lot of young people coming here to get feedback on their work. Do you think there is anything you or I could say to convince them to be patience their chance will come?

Do you know if Daniel is a PHP programmer or is he just buying modules and waiting for support from them?

13. lowprofile300

lowprofile300 Active Member

Oh thank Goodness. So I am not the only one experiencing a New Thread issue then, I thought it was something I did, like break one of the rules or something. Phew...what a relief:). Well, we will just have to wait for it to get fixed at some point then.

14. live2write

live2write Senior Member

I felt the same way and I let it go. Things happen, it gives us more time to wait to critique other member's writings and focus on our own.

15. lowprofile300

lowprofile300 Active Member

Totally in agreement with you Live2write, critiquing is what I have been doing lately. It's a great workout, seriously. As long as we don't have to wait a month or so, I am cool with it.

16. Agatha Christie

Agatha Christie New Member

what is happening. cant post short stories. Cant post poetry!!!

Why cant I post on poetry or short stories?!! what is happening with this site? All I get are the forum rules

17. mammamaia

have you posted the required number of critiques in those sections?

18. superpsycho

superpsycho New Member

Look at the dates of the last posted poems and short stories. It's a site code bug.

19. Daniel

Daniel I'm sure you've heard the rumors Founder Staff

Hey everyone,

I just wanted to say I'm aware of the issue and looking into it. The thread button should now redirect to the workshop criteria if you haven't met it. I am also aware that this doesn't work 100% of the time, with some people getting this message even when the criteria is met.

I'm currently looking for an affordable programmer to help with this issue. I'll keep you updated.

20. Mark_Archibald

Mark_Archibald Active Member

Given that this is a problem with the user verification of the workshop might a new message board be created that anybody can use in the meantime as a temporary fix?

Just my 2 cents.

21. cs2212

cs2212 Member

Yeah, I was just going to suggest the above.

If it is going to involve having to pay for a programmer to completely overhaul whatever the issue is, is it not much easier just to create a new board for reviews and retain the content of the existing one as a single 'archive' board for people to benefit from past threads and critiques?

22. Mark_Archibald

Mark_Archibald Active Member

thumbs up

23. Daniel

Daniel I'm sure you've heard the rumors Founder Staff

Regarding the programming issue. It's actually less complicated than I originally thought. They don't need to code a solution from scratch, just update the old code. If this was going to be an issue for the foreseeable future I'd open the workshop to regular posts without enforcing the critique rule, but I expect to have a software solution in the very near future.