1. the1

the1 Active Member

Valentine's Day

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by the1, Feb 12, 2013.

Well Valentine's Day is coming up and I thought we should gauge the opinion of the forum.

Do you celebrate it or is it not really your thing?

Also, for some fun who is your dream Valentine and why?

2. Eva-Athena

Eva-Athena Member

I'm really not much of a lovey dovey person...so no.

My dream valentine....Loki from the Avengers because he's awesome. But if it has to be real...then some kid from my school.

3. chicagoliz

chicagoliz Contributor Contributor

Years ago I didn't like it, but always had fun because my roommates and I would get a cake or something to make up for having no Valentine and for enduring such a stupid holiday. Then, when I was dating my husband and before we had kids, it was fun -- we'd either go out to dinner or make a really nice dinner at home. But now that we have kids, it's really just a pain in the tuchus. All the restaurants, from the finest ones down to the lowest chains are completely mobbed. Chefs tend to call Valentine's night "amateur night" and the food is generally not as good and the prices are jacked up. (So it would actually be better to go out the night before). Sometimes we do take-out. I don't know what we're doing this year. I suggested we all go out for ice cream. I may end up buying my own flowers. I have to figure out whether my son is doing cards for his class and get those all organized. So, I'm kind of eehh on the whole holiday now.

And for your second question, it's really not proper for me to have any answer other than my dear husband ;-)

4. EdFromNY

EdFromNY Hope to improve with age Supporter Contributor

These days, it's fun to celebrate Valentine's Day with my wife of 33 years and counting. Now that we are older, it's a way to be a little youthful and silly (this year, she has been inundating me with small stuffed animals; I fought back with the largest stuffed dog I could find). Alas, it has not always been thus.

When I was in high school (an all-boys Catholic school back in the 12th century or so), we always had a Valentine's Day dance that was always couples-only. My first two years, I didn't have anyone to ask and so didn't go. But my junior year, I had met someone and we had started dating, so I took her. I was thrilled, felt like I was finally making progress. But when we got to the dance, it was something of a disappointment because many of my classmates were having the same problems I had had, and very few were there. But I did run into one "friend" of mine, and so he and his date and I and my date sat together when the band took breaks (which they did with annoying frequency). Turned out that my "friend" and my date knew each other, and they started chatting it up just famously. At one point, he suddenly announced that he had a great idea - he and I should swap dates. Not knowing what my date thought of the idea (although I suspected), and not wanting to hurt anyone's feelings - as well as truly not liking the idea of the guys "swapping" their dates - I declined. Not surprisingly, the rest of the evening was a disaster, and it was my last date with the girl. I did attack my "friend" in the bandroom the following week, however.

Now, if I knew then what I know now, I'd have lampooned my "friend" for his horiffically bad manners and then cordially allowed my date to make her own decision, and if she said yes, I'd have made sure I gave the other girl the very best time I could.

5. chicagoliz

chicagoliz Contributor Contributor

Oh, what a great scene in a book that would be.

6. b3av3r

b3av3r Member

I've always enjoyed coming up with something special to do on Valentine's Day, I see it as a challenge. Our anniversary is in March so we kind of roll the two into one celebration which means I spend a little more than I probably should but it is always a fun time. I'm a little upset I can't do anything this year because of my wreck and being out of work so I guess I'll have to step it up next year.

7. JessWrite

JessWrite Word Nerd & Proud! Contributor

I'm a romantic, so I simply love Valentine's Day. Don't have a Valentine though...yet, but someday. (I'd like a Chris Hemsworth please.)

I sent three of my good friends Valentine's packages in the mail (Chocolate makes you an official best friend :D). Every year my dad "surprises" my sister and I with flowers or a giftcard and gives my mom roses too. It's very sweet.

8. Lunatia

Lunatia New Member

My husband and I have not much planned for this year, just renting a movie or two (Bourne Legacy and whatever else he wants) and having a dinner by ourselves. At home, though, and I'm cooking because I love to. Our little baby will be babysat by my nearby mother, bless her.

We wanted to make Die Hard 5 our Valentine's movie, but circumstances won't allow for that.

If my wonderful husband is unavailable for the evening, I'll settle for Jeremy Renner. (It seems like there's a lot of us Avengers fans around here. :D )

9. Michael Collins

Michael Collins Senior Member

I don'y usually celebrate it, because I love my girl all year round.
    But it's a nice excuse to eat chocolate, go out for dinner or even go on a short weekend trip.
    :)

10. ReaperKnight

ReaperKnight New Member

I don't celebrate it because I see it as almost pointless and it's also another opportunity for corporations to nick money off of us. Call me cynical, but that's just my two cents. As for my dream valentine... I don't actually know...

11. Yoshiko

Yoshiko Contributor Contributor

I've been so busy lately that I didn't even notice Valentine's Day creeping up. I only realised while in the car home yesterday when my friend mentioned it.

I've no one to celebrate with this year and no one I even particularly want to be with right now. Instead I will endure what I expect to be an even more awkward than usual train ride with my ex in the morning.

12. niallohagan

niallohagan New Member

I will be cooking a nice meal tomorrow night and then we are going out on Friday

13. minstrel

minstrel Leader of the Insquirrelgency Supporter Contributor

I don't celebrate it, and didn't even back when I was romantically involved, so to speak. There are plenty of other holidays and special times to celebrate.

14. SocksFox

SocksFox Contributor Contributor Contest Winner 2024 Contest Winner 2023

I have to work...

15. Talmay

Talmay Member

Me too.

(Not that I had anyone to celebrate it with anyhow.)

16. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

I have celebrated Valentine's Week with the right person, and gave her a gift each day. Every gift was symbolic of an aspect of her.

Sadly, she died suddenly less than a year later.

I am not currently involved with anyone romantically. Not opposed to it, but it has to be the right person. I'm not searching for her, but neither am I closed to the possibility.

So yes, I am a romantic, and Valentine's Day is a special day to me, even if I won't be doing anything about it this year.

17. Gallowglass

Gallowglass Contributor Contributor

Me and my girlfriend are in a long-distance relationship with me being at uni for eight weeks. For Valentines Day I sent her a rose plucked from a farm near her place of birth (Johannesburg) which lasts up to nine weeks in water, and told her that every time she looks at it it will remind her I'm not gone for that long and that me, her, and it will be in the same room together before it wilts.

18. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

...i don't observe any holidays... in my old life i did celebrate st. v's day and would give each of my 7 children a card and small gift...

n/a

19. shadowwalker

shadowwalker Contributor Contributor

I'm ambivalent about V-Day. I never seemed to have boyfriends who remembered it, and for many years haven't had anyone to celebrate it with anyway. I think it's cool to see people in the stores buying flowers or cards or candy or some other obviously special gift for their partners, though. It's nice to have an 'excuse' to do the romantic things that one would feel self-conscious doing other days.

20. EdFromNY

EdFromNY Hope to improve with age Supporter Contributor

I'm very sorry, Cog.

21. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Thanks Ed, but it was over a decade ago. I do miss her, but the good memories are what I hold close.

22. FelicityMe

FelicityMe New Member

This was actually the first year I celebrated Valentines day.. It was actually a two day event.. Much fun.. For me it was kind of like a mini Christmas. My valentine and I lived sponteneously for the past two days.. Never quite sure where we would end up or what we would do. We ended up going to Baltimore. (about an hour south) and wandering around Barnes and Noble. Then taking pictures on top of the WTC of Baltimore. And of course having a nice dinner. Our dinner however was quite strange.. The ambience of the place was quite nice.. The service was sub-par. I still tipped well mainly because we were on the fourth level and our server had to walk up and down four flights of stairs each time we needed something.
    On to days two of Valentines Day, We went to a place that had a large arcarde and bowling and bar, it was so funny, because we went early so there were alot of little kids there, so there we were playing arcade games like kids.. It was actually tons of fun.

23. MainerMikeBrown

MainerMikeBrown Senior Member

I think the idea of having one day every year be Valentine's Day is a cute idea. But I just send Happy Valentine's Day cards to my grandmother and mother, and, if I'm dating a girl, to her as well. That's the extent of how much I celebrate Valentine's Day.