1. Sound of Silence

Sound of Silence Member

Project report vs. synopsis

Discussion in 'Publishing' started by Sound of Silence, Sep 3, 2009.

:(

Hmmm, I've written countless synopsis, but when an agent asks for a 'project report' what's the difference? It sounds a hell of a lot more mechanical than your basic synopsis (I'm thinking back to Uni here and the PR you have to hand in). But this is for fiction and something's telling me it's slightly different. Hmmm... confused.

2. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

i've never heard of anything called that in re a book ms...

they may mean a 'proposal' but that's generally only required for non-fiction...

what country is that agent located in?

and, btw, the plural of 'synopsis' is 'synopses'... sorry, but i can't turn off my virgo-ness!

hugs, m

3. Sound of Silence

Sound of Silence Member

The agent's American. He deals both in fiction and non-fiction. I know Project reports go with non-fiction; reading down his site he doesn't give an alternative for his fiction. I suppose that means just go with synopsis.

Synopses.. leave your virog-ness on anytime, hun. It's a slap in the face for us lazy gits who couldn't be bothered to go plural.;)

4. FrankB

FrankB Member

Have you checked that agent's bona fides?

5. mammamaia

good question!... asking for a 'project report' instead of a 'proposal' does make one wonder.................

and no 'slap' is intended, sos, since i'm agin' any kind of violence... ;-)

6. Sound of Silence

Sound of Silence Member

Lol. Just saying I needed one. I wrote that pretty late. Although I am prone to screwing up spelling in the cold light of day, so tiredness is another pure excuse on my part...:) See, take the exampl 'project report'. That's more my own language than the agents. 'Proposal' they do want. So screw-up I am.:D

FrankB:

Cheers, hun. Yes I have. I know there's a risk with any agent as none can guarantee work being published. I'm a published poet but that was done without going through an agent. Agent or publisher themselves...? It's a dilemma and one I don't think I'm in any kind of rush to decide on just yet with my prose. I'm just sniffing round at the moment. I've spoken to people regards this agent, in particular people they've helped to get published as well as checking round for any bad press from disgruntled authors that got a no from them. Feedback in the form of rejected authors expressed general dissapointment, but pleasure with the help offered as a one off in the comments. I've also been following this particular agent on a 'spot-light' talk for a few months; he seems pretty up-front. But I'm just dipping my toes at the moment and trying to decipher technical jargon. :eek: Scary - very scary.

7. ManhattanMss

ManhattanMss Contributing Member

Are you working on something, in particular, for this agent? Sounds like he's asking how you're coming along on some project or story you've mentioned or pomised.

8. mammamaia

asking for a proposal for fiction would be odd to the max, so i would assume one is not required for your novel query... just send the standard 1-page query letter to start, with no additional material other than perhaps the first 5 pages of your novel, unless the guidelines say to send nothing but the query letter...

anything else that's wanted will be requested, if the query whets their appetite...