1. Emmy

Emmy Member

Project Titles

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by Emmy, May 4, 2009.

I'm curious to know how other writers decide what to name their projects...

Some great titles that come immediately to mind are:

- Black Snake Moan (was this a book before the movie? Not sure, but love the title)
    - Midnight In the Garden of Good and Evil
    - Ghost
    - Lolita
    - Mansfield Park
    - The Garden of Eden

Judging by these varying works, the names are interesting and intelligent choices.

How do you name yours?

2. starseed

starseed Contributing Member

I didn't know the title of my book when I began working on it, but I had a strong feeling that if I just put off naming it til later, and didn't fret over it much, the name would just come to me. I was right, I got to a point in the middle of the book where something happened with one of the scenes and it just gave me the perfect idea for the name. The name has a nice ring to it and I'm really happy with it, as soon as I thought of it there was a lightbulb moment and I could just picture it written on the cover with my name underneath. It felt right. :)

So yeah, I say don't name the story, let the story name itself!

3. arron89

arron89 Banned

ghost, lolita and mansfield park? IMO, there isn't anything particular inspired about those titles (not that the works themselves aren't great)...Lolita is a character's name (nothing original there), mansfield park is the setting (again, nothing new) and ghost, the principal plot element (think snakes on a plane....)

i have no system for titling my works, and usually i just do one of those three things above....i think my favourite title right now is Enduring Love by Ian McEwan, simply for the amount of depth he crams into those 2 words...think of all the different ways you can construe the meaning of those words when theyre on their own like that....

4. Gallowglass

Gallowglass Contributing Member Contributor

Consanguine Curse, although I have other titles I can use if that one is already taken. The inspiration is one of my friend's mottos: 'never break the consanguine curse.' It seemed so suitable, so I decided to use it as a title.

5. fantasy girl

fantasy girl Contributing Member

my current project was going to be called 'the innocent's race' as some one innocent was going to have to go on the run, but the goal poast shifted as the mc no longer has to go on the run so it is now called 'Crystal City: Tabithas Rescue' as the kingdome is called crystal city and some one called tabitha gets rescued. so my titles reflect what happens in the story without giving to much away.

6. Dcoin

Dcoin Contributing Member

I've always like the idea of titles that aren’t eminently clear till later on in the story.

7. RomanticRose

RomanticRose Active Member

Unless a title just jumps out at me, a project's working title is always the first name of the MC.

8. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

i don't... they seem to name themselves...

9. lynneandlynn

lynneandlynn Contributing Member

When it comes to titling poetry, there's normally a couple words or a line that jumps out at me and that's what it ends up being titled. As for novels, I write them first and then let the title just sort of happen.

~Lynn

10. Dr. Doctor

Dr. Doctor Contributing Member

I wish mine named themselves; would save me the trouble of titling them something unimaginative.

11. psyence53

psyence53 Senior Member

Haha, Dr. Doctor - I second that!

Rarely (or never) do I find a good title. I'm hoping it'll get easier with the more progress I make. The only title of mine I am happy with is "Butterflies & Black Holes." You might all say it's rubbish in which case...FAIL. But I think it fits with the general idea. It only came about because of the music I was listening to. And it just occured at the time that my alterations seemed right for the book. I can't see anything better cropping up for that one.

Naming my first script was awful. I really did resort to a dictionary. I don't remember if that DID find my title, but i settled on "Disposable." Perhaps obvious when you know the story, perhaps not. But it's fits enough for me NOT to label it a working title. And "Kodomo" too - felt PERFECT. Only... it will be awkward if the characters end up English instead of Japanese :/ in which case the whole title will be RUINED *frets*

Otherwise... i'm hopeless.
    Sorry for the uselessness xD

I often wonder about titles too. When I see a good title, or film title, song title, I ALWAYS wonder how/why.:confused:

12. Jeredin

Jeredin Member

Hurm . . .

Most of what I write is "epic" yet the titles I tend to come up with are interesting rather than epic.

Sometimes, I come up with titles based on the overall plot, from a line in the story or from something odd but relevant to the story.

My most recent title is "Freelance Savior;" an epic fantasy. I always liked the word "freelance," which its history comes from a coinage for a "medieval mercenary warrior."

Then I came up with the simple idea: what if there was this freelance, and all he wanted to do was travel around finding good paying jobs. Yet eventually the freelance would end up in dangerous scenarios, fight his way to survive but wind up being other people's savior in the process. Overall, it's a story of a reluctant hero, one of my favorite kinds.

So, this time around I came up with the title based on a simple concept and built the story off it. Good times. :D

13. Emmy

Emmy Member

I started out with a title in mind, but I've found that it doesn't do anything for me, now that the story is pretty much written. I'm having a hard time finding something else, however.

I'll continue to hammer out the story, and hope that something blossoms.

14. Emmy

Emmy Member

Exactly my point. Some titles are so incredibly obvious, they work...they may not be original, but they're very moving.