1. Published on Amazon? If you have a book, e-book, or audiobook available on Amazon.com, we'll promote it on WritingForums.org for free. Simply add your book to our Member Publications section. Add your book here or read the full announcement.
    Dismiss Notice
  1. Kaylin

Kaylin Member

Prologue, Misplaced?

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by Kaylin, Jun 10, 2012.

In Firewife by Tinling Choong, there's a 'misplaced prologue' at the end, explaining the mythological roots behind the book.
    Within the context, it enhanced the book in a way that wouldn't be possible if the prologue was placed at the beginning or if there was no prologue at all.
    Has anyone come upon a prologue at the end, or an epilogue at the beginning?
    I think it's an interesting concept that can't be widely applied.
    Firewife isn't the most mainstream novel, so that made me wonder, under what circumstances would you write a misplaced prologue?
    How could it improve the book?
    Also, is there a name for it?

Thanks in advance!

2. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Sounds more like an Afterword, which is author notes placed after the story, but not a part of the story.

My feeling is that most (not all, but most) prologues are already misplaced -- they should have been placed in the trash bucket.

3. louis1

louis1 Contributing Member

Oh no you didn't! ahaha

totally agree, even if i have a prologue in my soon to be book. but i'm pretty sure it's necessary i already made it half the length it used to be.