1. staceylouise

staceylouise Active Member

Prologue or to not?

Discussion in 'Erotica' started by staceylouise, Jan 31, 2014.

I've written my whole first 'chapter' as I would have described it, which basically introduces 2 of the main characters in the book. It also gives their backgrounds and upbringing up to where they are kind of at now, and goes over one of their feelings a bit as to how she has seen and felt about the other, - which later in the book does unfold but not in the way in which the reader might think it too, there's a bit of a twist which of course is sexual too, but it gives off a certain impression and although introduces 2 of the main characters it slightly emphasises which of the 2 is the and the main character.
    But, as much as I'd considered this to be my chapter one and opening of the story, it really is a prologue isn't it?
    And I've now actually started from the 'now' in the book, so this would be my chapter 1 and my actual start of the story?
    I'm just clarifying this is right to how I feel about it. Also I'm keen to hear people's opinions on the prologue or not to prologue? I've read several books with, but equally without, so just wanting some views on this, although I firmly stand by mine as I feel kind of holds the story together before it starts.

2. Gisella_M

Gisella_M Member

Hmmm. My reaction would be to leave this out all together, or rather cut it up and insert it in small chunks later in the story. I always find it works much better to jump straight in with something actually happening, you can go back and fill in details later but you need to get the readers attention first and draw them in.