1. Nadala

Nadala Banned

Manorealism and fuedalism

Discussion in 'Fantasy' started by Nadala, Oct 18, 2007.

Okay, so who here uses the two concepts in the title when writing fantasy. Why does this type of culture work for you or why doesn't it I would love to hear it.

2. SeaBreeze

SeaBreeze Banned

Tell me what they mean and I will be able to give you an answer! But I would guess at no... probably to osophisticated for me? Mainly because I don't understand it!

3. Kit

Kit Contributor Contributor

To be honest, when I first read this I didn't know what they meant either but i'm too tired to look the meanings up whilst i'm at work and I didn't want to be the first to feel silly :D

Feel like giving a brief (and easy to understand) description for each, anyone?

4. SeaBreeze

SeaBreeze Banned

Yes! Please do! I don't like feeling dumbererr..... :p no, I owuld really like to know the meanings.

5. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

you seem to be misspelling 'manorialism' which is the system where the 'lord of the manor' has 'peasants' living on his property who're subservient to and dependent on him, to do all the work... it's also and a bit more properly called 'seigneurialism' and is similar to 'fuedalism'...

6. MarcG

MarcG New Member

Essentially serfdom (imo), the peasants are tied to the lord/land (if someone takes over they get the peasants). They can still be sold or traded, though. Should be fairly easy to use in fiction if explained properly, since I doubt that the average reader really remembers lots of vocabulary from highschool history classes :p