Tags:
  1. TwinPanther13

TwinPanther13 New Member

Proofreading

Discussion in 'Revision and Editing' started by TwinPanther13, Dec 27, 2008.

I need help with proof reading. Does anyone know a book or a site that teaches you what to look for?

I have trouble staying objective no matter how long after I finish writing.
    Please a little help.

2. marina

marina Contributor Contributor

Wait...are you talking about proofreading (like correcting for spelling, punctuation, and grammar) or about editing (checking for consistency, flow, organization, etc.)?

3. garmar69

garmar69 Contributor Contributor

I have to say that nothing has helped me more than reviewing others work here. So, in essence, you have found such a site right here. :)

Spending time critically thinking about others work will reveal a lot in your own.

4. Rei

Rei Contributor Contributor

As long as it's not homework, post it here. We'll help proofread it for you, and if you don't understand a grammatical correction someone has mad,e there is a section for asking questions about that.

5. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

if you're a good writer, you'd know what to look for and know goofs when you see them...

if you're not a good writer, then you most likely won't be good at proofing your own work... and there are no books that will help you do it, other than the obvious ones on basic grammar, punctuation, etc....

as for posting here for help, while that can show you what others catch that needs fixing in your work, it's not going to fix the entire piece, since you shouldn't be posting complete works... but it might at least help you to find out what you need to improve in your writing and what kinds of technical goofs should be caught with a good proofread...

6. Rei

Rei Contributor Contributor

That's a pretty grim way of looking at it. People do learn.

7. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

i don't see what's grim about it... and of course they do learn... which what that last sentence is saying, isn't it?...

other than those on the basics of grammar and such, the best books you'll find that will help you to write well are the best works by the best writers... they will teach you all you need to know, once you've mastered the technical basic skills... so, to become a good writer, one must first be a good, constant, and discerning reader...

8. garmar69

garmar69 Contributor Contributor

I agree with this completely. I also feel that reading less than desirable works will help to keep you from making many of the common mistakes made by new writers, and some well established ones... if you pay attention to what works and what doesn't.