1. Alesia

Alesia Pen names: AJ Connor, Carey Connolly Contributor

Quick and dumb question

Discussion in 'Character Development' started by Alesia, Sep 28, 2013.

I was re-reading my chapter one where my MC wakes up in a hospital to the sound of a radio playing in the room. Only the thing is, I mention it with a brief italicized quote from the radio announcer, then something long the lines of :

But after this, I notice I never mention the radio again. Not seeing it, hearing it anymore, anyone turning it off. Am I blowing this out of proportion, or is there even any need to mention it again, even in a small sense like the doctor switching the set off?

2. erebh

erebh Banned Contributor

The radio was on, now it's off. Why would you keep mentioning the radio if it has no further part in the story? Is it a magic radio that keeps turning itself on sending subliminal messages to your character? If not, forget it.

3. Duchess-Yukine-Suoh

Duchess-Yukine-Suoh Girl #21 Contributor

Will the radio matter ever again? No? Then don't bother mentioning it. You can if you really want to, but don't kill yourself (metaphorically) over it.

4. thirdwind

thirdwind Member Contest Administrator Reviewer Contributor

You're over-thinking this. Mentioning the radio only once is not a big deal. Besides, it's called Chekhov's gun, not Chekhov's radio. :p

5. Alesia

Works for me!

6. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

where do they have radios in hospital rooms?... all the ones i've been in [as patient or visiting] over the past few decades have had a tv, no radio...

7. Alesia

In an alternate universe....

8. Burlbird

Burlbird Contributor Contributor

@Alesia or an East European country! :D

9. jazzabel

jazzabel Agent Provocateur Contributor

If you noticed it and it slightly bothered you, perhaps there is something about it that feels odd. I see sometimes,with some writers, they anchor the situation by mentioning a superficial detail. Originally it involves something plot advancing (in your case the character waking up confused, hearing the radio) and then towards the end of the scene, they refer to that (radio) as if to close the issue or reveal another piece of information. It makes things feel familiar for the reader and it draws them in. I'm probably not explaining it right, but by mentioning the detail later on, it gives sense of closure and reality. So maybe you should refer to what happened to the radio by the end of the scene, and see if it works.

10. GingerCoffee

GingerCoffee Web Surfer Girl Contributor

People often bring in music players or even radios in hospital rooms for patients. And the staff (though it's not common) could have a radio on at the nurse's desk.

The TV wouldn't likely be on unless the patient turns it on, again unless a visitor has turned it on or the patient in the next bed is watching it.