1. Michaelhall2007

Michaelhall2007 Member

Pseudonym or not? What's yours?

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by Michaelhall2007, Mar 27, 2016.

Do you use a pseudonym?
    (A pen name)

Strangely enough, some people have no other choice for reasons that are out of their control.
    I, like Winston Churchill share our names with people that already have their own work published.
    He was not just a Prime Minister. He was also a published writer.

If you google my name there's a published writer by the same name.

However Churchill wrote to his name sake...

"Mr. Winston Churchill presents his compliments to Mr. Winston Churchill, and begs to draw his attention to a matter which concerns them both.

"He has learnt from the Press notices that Mr. Winston Churchill proposes to bring out another novel, entitledRichard Carvel , which is certain to have a considerable sale both in England and America.
    "Mr. Winston Churchill is also the author of a novel now being published in serial form in Macmillan's Magazine, and for which he anticipates some sale both in England and America.

"He also proposes to publish on the 1st of October another military chronicle on the Sudan War. He has no doubt that Mr. Winston Churchill will recognise from this letter -- if indeed by no other means -- that there is grave danger of his works being mistaken for those of Mr. Winston Churchill. He feels sure that Mr. Winston Churchill desires this as little as he does himself.

"In future to avoid mistakes as far as possible, Mr. Winston Churchill has decided to sign all published articles, stories, or other works, 'Winston Spencer Churchill,' and not 'Winston Churchill' as formerly.

"He trusts that this arrangement will commend itself to Mr. Winston Churchill, and he ventures to suggest, with a view to preventing further confusion which may arise out of this extraordinary coincidence, that both Mr. Winston Churchill and Mr. Winston Churchill should insert a short note in their respective publications explaining to the public which are the works of Mr. Winston Churchill and which those of Mr. Winston Churchill. The text of this note might form a subject for future discussion if Mr. Winston Churchill agrees with Mr. Winston Churchill's proposition.

"He takes this occasion of complimenting Mr. Winston Churchill upon the style and success of his works, which are always brought to his notice whether in magazine or book form, and he trusts that Mr. Winston Churchill has derived equal pleasure from any work of his that may have attracted his attention."

He received a reply from Mr. Churchill too. Here is the link...
    What happened when Winston Churchill wrote a letter... to Winston Churchill

Catrin Lewis likes this.
  2. peachalulu

peachalulu Contributing Member Reviewer Contributor

I self publish under Edi Marchen. That's not my name. I also frequent the writing sites under Peachalulu and a couple of other names.

The reason I don't use my real name is my first name is the same as a romance author and my last name is the same as another romance author - put together, I sound like a romance author. Lol. It's a pretty name but unfortunately I don't write romance.
    You could try using initials, or use your middle name or make up an acronym. Vladimir Nabokov used them in his novels - the one I recall the most was Vivian Darkbloom.

Michaelhall2007 likes this.
  3. Oscar Leigh

Oscar Leigh Contributing Member

Oscar Leigh is my standard pen name. I don't know if I'll use it when publishing books, we'll have to see. :superthink:

4. Tenderiser

Tenderiser Not a man Contest Administrator Supporter Contributor

I use a pen name. I'm the only [Real Name] in the world so it seemed prudent to separate my personal and author profiles on the web. Otherwise it would be too easy for someone from one world to find out everything about the other.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2016
    Tea@3 and Michaelhall2007 like this.
  5. Michaelhall2007

Michaelhall2007 Member

Unfortunately the other author goes by Michael R. Hall
    My middle names Robert D'oh
    That's what I used on my 1st attempt at literature.
    M. R. Hall looks too much like Mr. Hall
    Michael Hall feels too much like the 1st one.
    However, even though I've known this for about 5 years, I have never thought what I'd call myself if I did get something published.

6. Tenderiser

M. R. D'oh Hall is quite unique?

7. Michaelhall2007

Michaelhall2007 Member

I should call myself Aberdeen Angus because then I would be top of the list if they give awards out alphabetically.

"And this year's award for being at the start of every bookshelf goes to..."

8. peachalulu

peachalulu Contributing Member Reviewer Contributor

I read someone where using a pseudonym with a last name that starts with A will keep you at the start of book lists and on the top of book shelves.

Sundowner and Michaelhall2007 like this.
  9. BayView

BayView Contributing Member Contributor

I don't see anything by Michael R. Hall on Amazon - is he a currently active author?

Oh, wait, there are two nonfiction books about Haiti - are those the ones you mean?

I wouldn't worry about getting confused with him, unless you're also writing about Haiti, or something really similar.

But I also wouldn't worry about using a pseudonym, if you prefer. I have a few I jump between (Kate Sherwood, Cate Cameron, and at least one more that isn't really active) and it's not an issue.

10. Michaelhall2007

Michaelhall2007 Member

Aberdeen Angus it is then (hahaha)

11. Michaelhall2007

Michaelhall2007 Member

I just asked Google "Books by Michael R. Hall" and she named 2 then said and others. He's wrote historical fiction.

At the moment I'm working on a historical scientific fiction novel.

It works both ways, remember. I don't want him being credited with my work when it's published.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2016
  12. BayView

In this day and age with all the self-publishing, there are a lot of people using a lot of names - I don't think you have to avoid someone else's name unless they're selling quite a few books, with this guy doesn't seem to be.

I mean, again, there's nothing wrong with using a pseudonym. But if you were really dedicated to the idea of publishing under your own name, I don't think there's any reason not to, based on this guy's writing. (I'm actually guessing there are already TWO Michael R. Halls, unless the Haiti guy and the Ohio guy are the same person).

13. Michaelhall2007

Michaelhall2007 Member

I wouldn't want him to get credit for my work through:)

14. BayView

If you publish under a different name, someone else might come along the day after and start using it. There isn't much protection for this sort of thing.

15. Michaelhall2007

Michaelhall2007 Member

I could go anonymous and use the name I like to give the police when they ask.
    PC: "Name please sir"
    Me: "My names Nonya"
    PC: "Nonya what?"
    Me: "Nonya Business"

Oscar Leigh likes this.
  16. Oscar Leigh

Well, the police are entitled to your identity as it is need in legal procedures.

17. Michaelhall2007

Michaelhall2007 Member

Next you'll be telling me I have to tell them about the dead body in the boot (or trunk to all you U.S. folk). ;)

Sifunkle, Cave Troll and Oscar Leigh like this.
  18. Oscar Leigh

A trunk is a suitcase. I refuse to muddle those terms. Goddamn American language invades us enough as it is.:mad::p

19. Michaelhall2007

Michaelhall2007 Member

No, a suitcase is a suitcase. A trunk is the long thing in front of an elephant (hehehe)

20. Tenderiser

Aaron Aaronson?

Michaelhall2007 and Oscar Leigh like this.
  21. Oscar Leigh

The perfect pen name to get all the moneys. :supercheeky::supercheeky: I'd better get writing so I can fill the top shelves. :supercheeky: :write:

22. minstrel

minstrel Leader of the Insquirrelgency Staff Supporter Contributor

I don't much like my first name, but I do like my middle name, which is Anthony. That would be my first "pseudonym" name. My surname is German, but when I was growing up in Canada everyone assumed it was French and misspelled it ALL THE TIME. It got so bad that my uncle legally changed his surname to use the French spelling. Argh. I hate it when people misspell my name.

So I'll pick a pseudonym that's easy to spell and pronounce, and reflects my Canadian roots. My pseudonym surname will probably be something that reminds me of Canada. Something like "Winter" or "North" or "Snow" or "Frost" - something like that. "Anthony Winter" sounds pretty good. Maybe I'll use that. :)

Sack-a-Doo! likes this.
  23. Oscar Leigh

Anthony Winter sounds really cool.

24. minstrel

minstrel Leader of the Insquirrelgency Staff Supporter Contributor

Pun intended? :D

25. Oscar Leigh

Oh no, I totally missed that. I have betrayed our wonderful church of puns. I am not worthy!!!:superfrown:

minstrel likes this.