Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kyle777

kyle777 Member

King Arthur

Discussion in 'Research' started by kyle777, Mar 7, 2009.

I've come pretty far through a novel that centers around the messianistic return of King Arthur. I know a lot about him, but I fear I might be missing something. I know, I know...there are hundreds of sites that deal with this topic, but there's something comforting about gathering it from people who appreciate the history.
    What I need to know is where King Arthur is supposedly buried? Or what became of Bedivere and Lucan, two of the last Knights of the Round Table? Any general information about him would be greatly appreciated too.

2. Sayso

Sayso New Member

King Arthur lives on in Avalon according to folklore. Or the monks at Glastonbry, Somerset will tell you that he's buried there. Nobody knows for certain.

Here's just one interesting site I found:

http://www.arthurian-legend.com/summary-mort-darthur-21.php

According to that site Lucan died before Arthur.
    As with all legends though, the story has been passed on by word of mouth and different sites will give you different answers. I have visited Glastonbury and Tintagel in Cornwall which is believed to be Camelot. I would suggest you do some more googling (groan) as I found a lot (as you say you did) on the subject.
    If I had to choose, then I would go with Glastonbury for Arthur's burial but I'm no expert.
    Best of luck.

3. Gallowglass

Gallowglass Contributor Contributor

Note: No-one knows where King Arthur was born, or what nationality he was. He wasn't English (England didn't exist at the time). It is most likely he was a Roman citizen, born in the British Isles, but there is considerable evidence that he was a Briton of Strathclyde or a Pict from what would become the Scottish Lowlands.

4. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

no one really knows if arthur even existed!

5. Gallowglass

Gallowglass Contributor Contributor

Well, Arthur didn't. What we do know is that there was a famous leader at the time, and that someone called Artorius seems to have been a leader, if not THE leader.

6. kyle777

kyle777 Member

It really doesn't matter if he existed in real life. The legends exist, therefore it can be used. There has been talk of his 'burial'. Really, I was asking what the legends told.

7. Rei

Rei Contributor Contributor

I've also read a book that suggests Welsh. Then again, that same book said that there were two Arthors.

8. Operaghost

Operaghost New Member

The main fact has already been covered so far in here, and that is Arthur is indeed a legend and as such there are no set rules, sure there are things that people know and accept as fact, such as the round table and camelot, but these aren't set in stone, (After all camelot is a very silly place) and so the story is what you make it, who knows, maybe in a hundred years time wherever you decide he is buried may become part of the canon itself?

9. kyle777

kyle777 Member

And that is why the legend of King Arthur is such a nice foundation for a story. It's bathed in mystery. Not much is known about it, nor will much ever be. It can be bent to the will of the author's pen. And on that note, I thank everyone who gave input. I've collected enough data to go upon. So I now officially stop this thread.....if I could. :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.