Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Crazy Ivan

Crazy Ivan New Member

Public Service Announcement:

Discussion in 'Support & Feedback' started by Crazy Ivan, May 8, 2007.

There is a heavy amount of outrage being circulated over my latest topic, "Top Ten Reasons to Ban Gay Marriage." Two members have already said they are leaving.

This needs to be straightened out, and I want to be able to do things for myself.
    So:

POINT 1: I want to quote this from the topic:
    The above speaks for itself.

POINT 2: I understand there are some members leaving the forum because of the post (Apparently, big honking red letters don't do anything for them. ;) ).
    This is sad and unneeded.

POINT 3: I will not offer an apology for posting the topic, simply seeing as I put up in big fat red letters that it is a satire and that I am gay. If you can not figure things out for yourself, you don't deserve an apology (Wow, I would suck at politics, wouldn't I? :rolleyes: )

I will, however, apologize for if any of my posts following that one seemed like they were flaming or offensive. I am just rather fed up with people who don't understand a sarcastic criticism of homophobia when they see it. Please understand. However, I apologize if, in my efforts to right this mess, I seemed a bit rude.

Well, that's all. I hope that cleared things up.

2. Domoviye

Domoviye New Member

Proud Canadian. Currently teaching in Nanjing, Chi
    People do seem to be overreacting to this entire thing. (speaking from extremely recent experience)
    Hopefully most will understand the humour behind it, and react similarly.

3. Ferret

Ferret New Member

The parts of your soul you refuse to recognize.
    In the future use /sarcastic/ just to be clear,because in some cases things might seems obvious enough, but...
    Also, isn't 13 (that is your age, right?) a little young to decide something like that?

4. Crazy Ivan

Crazy Ivan New Member

That's the voice of an outsider speaking in. I'm sorry, but I can't really explain it, it just happens.

Turst me, I know for a fact. I know the word of a barely-teenager is flimsy to go on, but it'll have to do for now.

Also: I don't quite get how [/sarcastic] is more effective than explaining things like this. It may seem childish, but sometimes you need to be extremely blunt to get a point across.

5. Domoviye

Domoviye New Member

Proud Canadian. Currently teaching in Nanjing, Chi
    Maybe if you put [Sarcastic] like this instead [Sarcastic]

6. WhispWillow

WhispWillow New Member

I personally can see both sides of the argument

It was satire and at the same time could have offended those who were sensitive, I understnad both arguments

Anyway, the mentioned thread has now been put to recycling bin and will stay there, so we can all put it behind us.

To those who make any more threads in relation to this, complaining, I will be forced to warn you, the issue has now been dealt with

And I would ask for a stop to the angry pms also, to both the mods and Crazy Ivan, as already mentioned, it is done and over with.

In relation to pms in general on an entirely different note somewhat, seeing as we can not montior pms, if you are caught to be sending offensive messages to other members, action will be taken, such as warnings and if persistent/ vulgar, ban.

Thanks.

7. wordwizard

wordwizard New Member

I honestly dont see both sides of the dissagreement. I think the piece crazy Ivan posted was done tastefully and for fun. He made his point clear that it was satire, and if people didnt know what that means they can take a few seconds to look it up. I think people just need a little drama in their lives are are using this as a starting point. Freedom of speech(if you would even call his post that) is allowed, and he even went out of his way to get permission. Give the guy a break!

8. Raven

Raven Banned

Just a pointer. I don't want this to start up another flaming session.
    Any flaming will lead to a two week suspension.

~Raven.

9. IndianaJoan

IndianaJoan New Member

Writing is about freedom of expression.

I saw it as satire being gay myself and understood it as such.

I think we all need to be very careful about being demanding about punishing those who "offend us" with their postings. Do you really want a place where you cant express yourself without fear of consequence?

To those offended I might say...try and relax a little.

To those who did the offending, I would say to just carefully consider what you post and make sure to start out with a clear explanation of your intent.

BTW ..I am sorry for my absence and I will be around. If any of you need anything, feel free to PM me.

10. WhispWillow

WhispWillow New Member

good points and as hulls said, any flaming that happens here will result in a hefty warning/ban.

I am considering locking the topic, as it is resolved now

11. Banzai

Banzai One-time Mod, but on the road to recovery Contributor

I think that's probably best Whisp. There isn't really anything more to discuss, and it is just open to flaming at the moment.

12. WhispWillow

WhispWillow New Member

Yes, true, cheers

I think some people need to calm down.

Topic locked

13. Raven

Raven Banned

After reading the original topic I found nothing offensive what so ever.
    I just wanted to add.

If any of you feel for any reason your been victimised on the forum by other members please inform a Moderator. thats why we are here.

~Raven

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.