1. BWriter

BWriter Member

Short Stories

Discussion in 'Traditional Publishing' started by BWriter, Jul 23, 2016.

I was just wondering if anyone knows of anywhere to send non literary short fiction. I'm not sure if I am ready to send them off but I would like to start reading to get a feel. Trouble is all the places I've found want literary type stories that push boundaries. I'm not sure I know where the boundaries are, let alone pushing them haha. I just like writing stories that are mostly just entertaining (at least I hope they are). Don't think I would fit in with high brow literary types. I am looking online myself just wondering if anyone on here finds themselves in the same boat and has any advice.

2. BWriter

BWriter Member

Should mention I don't care about being paid either.

3. TWErvin2

TWErvin2 Contributor Contributor

Is there a genre that they would fit into?

4. BWriter

BWriter Member

I have a couple that maybe class as crime but mostly just general fiction

5. TWErvin2

TWErvin2 Contributor Contributor

You can search using The Grinder ( link: http://thegrinder.diabolicalplots.com/ ). Using the search option, it allows you to find/search by genre, topic, length and more to narrow possible markets. General I believe is a genre option.

I will mention that you might consider paying markets over non-paying ones, simply because the paying markets often have a larger readership, and thus, potentially more eyes would read your stories, especially if that's the goal.

Good luck in the effort!

Komposten likes this.
  6. BWriter

BWriter Member

I would love to get paid but I am just starting to get serious about writing so not expecting to do well, preparing for lots of rejection haha. Got to start some where though. Thanks for the help I will have to check that site out

7. deadrats

deadrats Contributor Contributor

Most of what the top literary journals are publishing is very accessible. A lot of the short stories could easily fall into some sort of general fiction classification. From what you said in your post, it sounds like you haven't really checked too many of them out. I read a lot of literary journals. Reading them will give you the best idea of what these places like to publish. Some publications are more quirky than others, some more edgy. But basically the editors are looking for good stories. Sometimes literary fiction just means it's free of genre, but that's not even true all the time.

I recommend duotrope over the grinder. Duotrope cost $50 a year, but I like it better. I think it has more markets and does a better job at tracking everything. But your best resource is going to be the publications themselves.