1. hippocampus

hippocampus Active Member

"Test pitching" a draft at a conference

Discussion in 'Marketing' started by hippocampus, Sep 24, 2013.

So... my book is in draft format. It needs a lot of fluffing, but the plot is there and I don't expect that aspect of the book to change very much.

I'll be at a conference this weekend and will have the opportunity to attend a pitch session. While my book isn't ready for a real pitch, what do you guys think about visiting a few agents/editors at this session and letting them know up front that it's not a "real" pitch... I'm just asking what their feedback would be if it were ready?

Or is that just wasting everyone's time?

I'm really undecided about this. I don't want to waste a potential opportunity to practice and get real-agent feedback; nor do I want to waste anyone's time.

Thoughts? Personal experience to share? :D

2. minstrel

minstrel Leader of the Insquirrelgency Supporter Contributor

I've never done that, so I can't tell you from experience. That said, I would advise you not to do this. If any agent or editor is interested, they'll ask to see your manuscript, and you don't want to hand them a crap draft. Telling them, "I know this is full of mistakes and stuff, but I haven't finished editing it. I really can write a lot better than this. Honest!"

If I were an agent, and any novice writer at a conference said that to me, I'd probably immediately assume that he was a hopeless amateur who was nowhere near ready to publish.

3. hippocampus

I agree ... That's why I thought I might mention that it's not ready right up front - before the pitch.

Still a bad idea?

4. minstrel

minstrel Leader of the Insquirrelgency Supporter Contributor

I think so. If you go to a pitch session, I think they'll expect you to have something ready to pitch. If you start by saying "This isn't ready to pitch yet, but it's cool anyway," then what do you think they'll think? The best you could hope for is, "Bring it to us when it's ready. Next!" They'll tell you to see them at the next conference, and they'll move on to someone who has something finished.

I'd like to hear what someone who's actually been to one of these pitch sessions thinks, though. Anyone?

5. hippocampus

Well, that's a good point minstrel! Maybe they would just find it more annoying than anything else.

6. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

yup!

this time, go just to learn... save your pitching for when you actually have something to pitch completed and polished, so you can send it to anyone who might be interested...

Last edited: Sep 26, 2013
  7. hippocampus

Oh, all right!! :cool: