1. writerdude11

writerdude11 New Member

Ideas on promoting your writing

Discussion in 'Marketing' started by writerdude11, Aug 27, 2013.

Hey guys, it's been a while since I've been on here cause I've been dealing with stress so lol yeah. Anyways, I came up with some ideas on how I could promote and generate interest for people to read my writings on Tumblr and was wondering if i could get feedback on if you guys think these are good. Here they are.

-Make flyers of my Tumblr page and post them around town
    -Make a T-shirt advertsing my Tumblr address
    -Go to other Tumblr/Facebook pages and advertise my writings there as well.

Tell me what you guys think ok?. Have a great day!

P.S. I know this is a publishing forum but I couldnt find one for promoting so this seemed to be the closest one, If its in the wrong place let me know :)

2. jazzabel

jazzabel Agent Provocateur Contributor

I very much doubt advertising your tumbler URL on a flyer or a t-shirt is the way to go. It's not the kind of message people remember. Much better way would be to join a site where people share their writing (such as devArt literature section) and start posting and commenting on other's work. It works the same way if you just started visiting other writing blogs and sites, and meaningfully commenting on their work. People tend to click on your name, which should take them to your pages, and if they like what you wrote they'll spread the word. Alternatively, try to publish in lit magazines, or if you are really determined to have flyers, perhaps a free story somewhere might entice people to look for more.

As a long term blogger, I can tell you there's nothing that will alienate you from the crowd more quickly than going around other people's pages and shamelessly advertising your stuff. It's considered bad form and the most likely response you will get is nothing. Your own blogs, facebook etc are fine, just don't spam others with your links.

3. Mckk

Mckk Member Supporter Contributor

Sounds like an all round bad idea to me. For a start, what can you even share on tumblr? A poem? I can't imagine a 5000-word short story on tumblr, and that's not how the network works I think. Now I don't use tumblr, so I could be wrong, but it's my impression that it's a fast one-click sharing sort of network, so very likely the things you'd share would be pictures, GIFs, perhaps short videos. But a story? Who would share that on tumblr? I mean, all right, a 100-300-word flash fiction, perhaps. Is that what you write? Tumblr's meant to be a platform for interesting content - posting flash fiction or the cover of your novel does not count as interesting content for anybody except yourself, the author.

No one will remember a URL from a t-shirt or flyer. Why would they? Oh here's a stranger's tumblr and there're stories on it, I must remember it so I can check it out? Not gonna happen. And most flyers get binned the second the person takes it. If you were offering a service, perhaps, but to make people read? Don't think so.

Definitely do NOT spam other people's pages. You need major bloggers and social network giants on your side. Don't tick them off before you've even started. It's seen as extremely rude. The way to do it is actually the other way around - advertising their stuff on your page, make positive and constructive comments on the bloggers' work, build a relationship and invite them over to your blog. If they like your stuff, they'll return the favour and voluntarily link over to you. Alternatively, send them a private message and ask them to swap links with you. Most people are happy with that, and at worst they'll say no, but there'll be no hurt feelings or offence caused.

How to promote your writing - well there's the obvious, Facebook and Twitter, the blogging and swap links strategy I detailed above, goodreads and goodreads give-away, post stuff on Amazon. Find FB groups that support writers and advertise on there - most writers will buy each other's work and there're many writers who actively try to help each other out, telling all their friends that you have a free book etc. One of my friends offered me yesterday that when my book is finished, she'd be happy to include an excerpt of my work at the end of hers, for example.

4. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

first of all, what is it you have on tumblr that you want people to see?

regardless, i also don't see spending money on flyers and a t-shirt as being at all helpful...

5. EmmaWrite

EmmaWrite Member

If you're going to promote your writing online, your advertisement should stay online. That way when people see the url, they can click on the link before they forget.
    From what I've seen, the way to gain popularity on Tumblr is to post often and tag your posts so that people can find them. There are various writing-themed tumblrs that you can submit to and get your url out there.
    That being said, Tumblr is not the best place to promote writing. I would try Figment.com or DeviantArt.

6. GingerCoffee

GingerCoffee Web Surfer Girl Contributor

I just bought the domaine name for my tentative book title. It was only $9/US for a year. If I decide on a different title it won't matter. I plan to start a "coming soon" campaign to see if I can generate any interest.

7. GingerCoffee

GingerCoffee Web Surfer Girl Contributor

Totally agree with this.

Joining writers' groups, however, and letting people get to know you is one option. This is the only writers forum I'm on but I plan to meet as many writers as I can in the future by joining a couple other forums. My friend suggested GoodReads and I'm a member there but I've not interacted with the community yet.

And there is a writers organization here in the NW that has an annual convention you can pitch your books in 3 minute slots to publishers. I hope to be at that stage by the next convention.

8. Misty'sMess

Misty'sMess New Member

I think all promotion is a good idea. How about starting a blog? Lots of popular author's have online presence, and I particularly love reading author blogs. Maybe write about your writing process?