Publishing thoughts/questions.

Discussion in 'Traditional Publishing' started by Agent Vatani, Dec 28, 2010.

1. TWErvin2

TWErvin2 Contributor Contributor

There is nothing wrong, as I see it, with researching about the publishing industry and process while writing a first novel--as long as it doesn't break up the focus of actually completing the work for submission.

Going into the writing process with such knowledge can't turn, and can keep one's expectations reasonable. Thinking about what could be can be a motivator, as long as the writer actually writes and doesn't dream exclusively.

One thing is for sure: Many many people think about, dream about, and even talk about writing a novel. Some even start. But of those that start, few actually finish the first draft, and of those that do finish the first draft, only a fraction revise and edit to get the manuscript to be the absolute best it be. And then, beyond that, many submit once--maybe twice, and then give up on their one novel upon that first rejection or two. They don't even start a second novel.

1 person likes this.
  2. Agent Vatani

Agent Vatani Active Member

What do you mean I don't know the half of it?

I wish it write it's self. XD
    Oh I been writing for over 5 years and I love writing.
    So your saying if I made a topic one plot here, its not hard to steal a whole plot like the writer wants it to come out to be?

3. Mallory

Mallory Contributor Contributor

About the grammar stuff: editors are there to fix the occasional goof/typo, but you've GOT to know your grammar inside and out.

If an editor sees you make frequent mistakes like they're/there/their, your/you're, grocer's apostrophe, its/it's etc -- and I'm not saying you make those mistakes, but you get the idea -- they'll put the book down.

There's a difference between catching an occasional typo and reading through poor syntax, so make sure to ace English and know your stuff.

If you'd like, I can look at your first chapter or first few pages and give you an idea what your strengths and weaknesses are. I'll be honest but not mean, I promise. If you're interested, PM me.

4. Agent Vatani

I will..
    First I'm looking for a plot, I have to many of them.

5. Mallory

Mallory Contributor Contributor

you could use them all (subplots) and tie them together if you can't decide

6. Agent Vatani

What like a book with a lot of stories in it?

7. Elgaisma

Elgaisma Contributor Contributor

I do agree with you - it is the same as any other job. All my dreaming about being a forensic anthropologist ultimately only got me to the front doorstep, I got sick and couldn't continue - without my research I couldn't have got that close. However thanks to the research I also had a realistic approach and knew once I hit thirty I wasn't going back - I am now too old.

I just think setting out with 'I am going to write a book,' without finding out what that entails, can make being a writer seem 'magical' instead of work. Don't get me wrong I find the writing process magical and fun ;), but there is more to it. I wonder if many more writers would finish their first draft if they considered it a job/career, if they had an understanding that this draft could be edited and changed etc I know I didn't understand when I finished the first, first draft that the hardwork to turn it into a novel had only just begun.

Rejections for me were easy to take because of the research - I am fully expecting years of them. Getting the personal paragraph and a couple of people interested in my maunscript so quickly even if I am rejected later in the process was more of a surprise.

Then there are posts where people complain they may have to read something out loud, or do some sort of publicity - surely that can be all part of 'the job.' There is more than just writing a book involved and personally think it might be easier for someone to complete and market their work successfully if they learn what skills they need and develop them. Interestingly my skills as an archaeologist which I have researched and prepared for since I was six actually transfer nicely into being a writer or author. But it was hardwork and knowing what I needed, going out to gain them. Not all the skills to be the best at something are taught at university - academics used to expect you to be able to learn the rest yourself.

I know I went back to Speakers Club earlier than I planned after reading more about what was involved. Dug out web design books, worked out how to use a blog etc. Found a chatroom with ladies that have been published. And set about fixing problems with my book - learning how to punctuate better, pace better, now need to work on beats didn't know what one was until last night. My first book is really good, but I could now write it much better. I now know how I want my book published and if it isn't done that way then will consider waiting until kiddies are a little older and self publishing. Realistically promoting it entirely myself with three under seven would be difficult.

8. Lmc71775

Lmc71775 Active Member

Okay, let me ask you this...what is the most you have ever written in one single piece of work you've done? 10K words? 20K words? If not, you definitely don't know the half of it. Writing up to 60K words for a novel takes alot of time and effort, weeks, months and maybe even years.

Just cause you've been writing for 5 years doesn't mean squat. Cause if they are all just poems and short stories, that is NOT the same thing. Anyone can say they write for 5 years, 10 years, but if you don't have something substantial written down, there is quite a bit of difference there.

As for taking ideas, it's been done for centuries. Haven't you ever read a book and then gotten your own idea for a new story? think of it that way.

Have you started writing this novel? Or are you still researching?

9. VM80

VM80 Contributor Contributor

Novels are usually much longer than 60k words as well...

10. Lmc71775

Lmc71775 Active Member

That's right some are much longer than that too, you're right.

11. Agent Vatani

First thing it's not a novel. It's novella.. So it's around 50,000.
    The longest thing I ever stuck to to write is and still going around 30,000 words.

I already said I'm not writing a adult novel. SO it won't be as long..
    No I haven't start writing because I'm still thinking of what to write... My main probalm is I get half way though a book and get bored with it and want to start a new but I can't keep doing that.

I know it's very very hard to get publish but I'm just seeking peace and help for this. :)
    30,000 is more then someone people. Not saying names..

12. Lmc71775

Lmc71775 Active Member

Believe it or not, novellas are actually a hot market since the e-books came out.

If you have a novella already that you would like to sell, there are quite a few places I know of that take them. You should focus on what you wrote already and test it out.

Duotrope, Ralan, and Karen Fox's list is great for genre novels AND novellas.

And believe me, I have the same problem as you, I am in the middle of my third novel and I am starting to fell sluggish with it.

I suggest an outline or notes for those ideas of yours. You don't want to lose them. And don't force yourself about the word count, just start writing it and see how it goes. Good luck whatever the case.

13. Agent Vatani

Oh outlining... I just started that a few years ago.

*sigh* I forgot to say my work was a fanfiction... So I couldn't test it out.

True they are hot on market.

I need help by picking sometime out to write. I have like ten top plot to pick from but I don't know what to pick from....