1. Faith*Hope*Love

Faith*Hope*Love Banned

Publishing under 18?

Discussion in 'Traditional Publishing' started by Faith*Hope*Love, Jul 28, 2009.

I am no where near publishing one of my many stories, but I am curious as to how old you can be to publish? I know that a lot of people don't take me seriously when it comes to my writing, but it really is my dream to become a published author. I am planning on waiting until after college. I have written up to four novels, and I usually spend atleast have of my free time on my writing. But I need to know how long I may have to wait to publish.

2. thirdwind

thirdwind Member Contest Administrator Reviewer Contributor

If you are under 18, you might need a parent/guardian to sign a few papers. Other than that, it doesn't matter how old you are when you submit. Don't include you age in a query letter or anything of that sort.Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the publisher won't know your age until after you have made a deal with them.

3. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

It won't matter until it comes time to sign a contract. You might need an adult to cosign it, depending on contract law where you are. But you have a way to go before that becomes an issue.

4. Banzai

Banzai One-time Mod, but on the road to recovery Contributor

There isn't a required age to be published. True, most published writers tend to be over 18, but that's largely because a) for most writers under 18, their writing isn't up to scratch, and b) it isn't easy getting published, and can take years.

If you feel your work is ready, then by all means try and get it published regardless of your age. And there's no reason to mention your age when you submit pieces, so you shouldn't have the problem of not being taken seriously due to your age. Your work will be judged on its own merit.

5. Gallowglass

Gallowglass Contributor Contributor

I don't know why you're asking us - we come from many different places with different legal systems. But in Scotland, England, and America, where most of our posters come from, age really doesn't matter. Contracts will probably need to be signed by both you and an adult responsible for your welfare, but not every one of them. You'll probably also need a professional to look over the contract before either of you sign it, as well, but anyone should do that regardless of age.

You get the odd person on here who says that teens can't write because their brains haven't developed and their wrists don't work (simplification, I'm sure there's something else to their argument that I'm missing), but that doesn't matter in law or in business ;)

One thing you shouldn't do is mention your age when submitting work, because some of the people who claim they above have careers in publishing.

6. Rei

Rei Contributor Contributor

I can think of several writers off the top of my head who published their first books before they graduated high school, two even before they started high school. When you think you're ready, go for it, whatever your age.

7. Faith*Hope*Love

Faith*Hope*Love Banned

Thank you all, it was really helpful. :)

8. age doesn't matter, I think Christopher Paolini had Eragon published at a young age...?
    And then there was even one I had to read for English that was written by a high school kid.