1. Neoaptt

Neoaptt Banned

Pulling thing out of...

Discussion in 'Research' started by Neoaptt, Feb 19, 2010.

Can we just pull things out our @$$3$?

Like say I wanted to use the united states as an example. And i was seeing what the presedant does. Can i make the presedant in charge of the military? Like being able to nuke a country without concent from the 2 other houses?

I know it is freedom of speach and I can make what ever i want up. But my question to you is. How much of it hast to be real to make it reality?

2. Banzai

Banzai One-time Mod, but on the road to recovery Contributor

First off, it's president.

Secondly, the US President is the military commander-in-chief (which made for fantastic irony a few years ago, when Bush told former Pakistani President Musharraf that he couldn't be head of the armed forces and the government).

As for nuclear launches, I'm fairly sure the US President has overall jurisdiction (though I'd wait for an American to confirm that).

In terms of reality, it really comes down to things that are going to break the illusion of the reader. I'd advocate as much realism as you can get away with, without it becoming a barrier to the enjoyment of the audience.

3. Neoaptt

Neoaptt Banned

I agree! Though i didn't accually know what you just said. It sounds about right.

4. JAIDS88

JAIDS88 New Member

actually*

5. Anonym

Anonym New Member

A president using a nuke would be a lot more plausible in some sort of international emergency situation, like the US being nuked itself, which would allow for martial law, & less scrupulous restraints on the power of the pres. its a mechinism ive experiment w/ myself, that i think would probably fit well into most kinds of zombie story. i highly recommened against any kind of blatant unrealism, but im kind of a purist in that sense

i could totally wrong tho. that's just what i kno. id be interested in more info on the subject myself

6. jwilder

jwilder New Member

The President is the Commander-In-Chief of the military. That means he has the power to direct all military movements both on native and foreign soils. While this power is Constitutionally unlimited (Congress can't force the President to do one thing or another regarding military usage), the Constitution also provides a balance of power in that the President has no control over the funds for the military. He must ask Congress to finance any troop movements or military endeavors. So while the President may decide he wants to invade Canada and orders the troops to suit up, he can't do it unless Congress authorizes the funds to pay the troops' salaries, contractor costs, etc etc.

However, when it comes to stuff like the "football" and nuclear strikes, the President is allowed through the Constitution to make the final decision without the approval of Congress. If you're going for a more realistic scenario though, no president would ever go to such extremes without first asking Congress for authorization of force (which is to say, voting for funds for military action) for ground and air forces, as the nuclear option is logically considered the final, life-ending option. And then you can write a sequal about the post-nuclear world inhabited by zombies. :)