1. Oneiromancer

Oneiromancer New Member

Pure Expression

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by Oneiromancer, Jul 24, 2009.

I feel a strong need to express my emotions in everything I do, and of course, that includes my writing. However, there are often passages in which you are to explain things important in the setting in plot. I write science-fiction, so in fact, this is particularly important.

Still, I try to express my feelings as best as I can. I want to write from my experience. If I write a piece without emotion, I feel I have failed.

I was wondering if you had any hints in which I could write more expressively. For example, I find that one thing which helps is to imagine that the scene on which I am writing somehow relates to myself, as a metaphor of my own feelings.

I also find that it helps if I write long enough, so that I can immerse myself in my fantasy. As soon as I get the feel of my inner fantasy world, it so becomes significant even if has no relation to myself at all. However, having so many other creative passions, there are periods that I do not write at all and instead devote myself to drawing, for instance, so that it becomes more difficult to get into this world again. For this reason, I often try to imagine I am in my novels even when I'm not writing, and imagine what the world would be like if it were like my own, with all its magical technologies and impossible possibilities. Even then, however, it's often hard to keep in touch with my fantasy, because there aren't really many times when I'm not doing anything else; when I have nothing to do, for instance when I'm waiting somewhere, I usually meditate, or read, or take photographs (since I always have my camera with me in my pocket). How can I best keep contact with my fantasy when I don't have the time to write?

2. daturaonfire

daturaonfire Senior Member

Always carry a notebook and pen with you. If you live in some place with sub-zero temperatures like I do, you may want to carry a pencil--pens don't work there. :p Anyway, jot down notes. Even vague ones will help you remember scenes that come to mind, feelings you had. Probably the best way to stay in touch with a story is to not stop writing. As for writing expressively...I like to imagine a character's physical gestures and emote through those.

3. bluebell80

bluebell80 Contributing Member

Daydreaming. I don't always write my daydreams down, but I will often, throughout the course of any given day, think "What if..." and go from there.

After studying quite a bit of psychology, I find that I just observe the people around me. Watch their body language, their tone of voice, their inflections of voice, their vocabulary, and their thought processes that come out in their speech patterns.

It is all very interesting, because it takes me out of my own head and makes me try to empathize (or assimilate) their emotions into a cognitive understanding in my own mind.

I people watch everywhere I go. I listen in on conversations going on around me. Coffee shops are a great place to people watch. I like to sit near tables with two or more people and just listen to them, while I look busy reading a book or typing on my computer.

I like to watch the kids at the playground when I take my kids. See how different children react and interact with each other compared to adults.

With all of this I find ways to incorporate those little nuances of human behavior into my writing. Of course I am still working at that, because there is always extremely large amounts of room for improvement in all writing. I just keep trying.

Deciphering your own emotional responses, becoming more intune with how you react to things, and the thoughts that go through your mind is also very helpful. Of course we can't see our own faces, so we don't get the little micro-expressions, but we can still be aware of our body language, and how our physical reactions relate to our emotional states.

I think you are trying to ask about how to express these emotions without talking about them straight out, like similes and metaphors... well how you use them is up to you. The best thing to do though is to avoid cliched versions of these two things. Try to make your metaphors and similes things that are relevant to your story.

How do you put that into writing? It totally depends on what your goal is in the piece you are writing. Is it a metaphoric story for an emotional state? Is it just straight fantasy worlds with characters who are emotionally diverse? It all depends on what you want to accomplish with your writing.

4. Oneiromancer

Oneiromancer New Member

Thanks for the replies. Describing a person's gestures to emote through those is a good idea, and to do that, it's true that observing people can be useful. As I'm quite lonely, I find this is exactly the sort of thing I have difficulties with, but I'll do my best trying to observe people on the streets.

I daydream quite a lot, but maybe I should renew my intention of exploring my daydreams to the full, rather than letting them drift by without much notice.

Strange. I thought I'd enabled e-mail notification.

5. murphcas

murphcas Member

I have a question about this. Do you ever draw anything about your fantasy world? Like the characters, places in the world, etc. I'm not that great of an artist but I do try to sketch out my characters so I can see them more clearly. Also if you draw the characters and places maybe you won't escape from that world but stay in it a little longer to inspire you.

6. Kamille

Kamille New Member

This is actually a good idea. I know one writer- RA Salvatore- based at least some of his works in worlds that his friends had drawn up for him; one would assume including maps, sketches of places, etc.

(now say what you will about Salvatore)

7. Oneiromancer

Oneiromancer New Member

That's a very good idea. I'm also a drawer, so it would be nice if I could connect these two passions in this way. I've made one drawing about my second novel. Maybe I should do that more often. I'll remember your advice.