1. indy5live

indy5live Active Member

Purposely accidental

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by indy5live, Dec 20, 2013.

Here is my dilemma:

Say, for example, I was walking in a train station and leaned against column 9 1/2 to tie my shoe and all the sudden I fall through the column, accidently discovered this wizard school called Hogsworth. I witness this huge battle going on, I want to leave, but I can't find a way out...I later learn that the only way back to the human work is to break a spell that's keeping everything in Hogsworth, in Hogsworth. So I join the fight. It's later discovered by me that these people think I am the common man that a prophecy spoke of that will finally end the war and free them. I'm clearly not the one. I discovered the place by accident. I just want to get home. But I decide, 'hey, it's either fight this fight and potentially get home or sit here and rot...I might as well try.' So I agree to help the wizards fight off whatever evil exist for my own selfish reason of getting out of there.

See the dilemma? I want my character to be like Neil in the Matrix, where he doesn't think he's the one but he's willing to fight the good fight, because he cares for people, Morpheus ideology and his love for Trinity. He has motivation outside of his own agenda and his team believes in him. But Neil didn't accidentally discover he was in the Matrix either. He was browsing for answers of what the Matrix was and Morpheus was looking to answer those questions for him. So how do I make my character have motivation and purpose in a world he only accidentally discovered?

Last edited: Dec 20, 2013
  2. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Don't you mean Neo?

3. Robert_S

Robert_S Senior Member

No. If he fights and wins, the people are free and he goes home. It's a win-win. No dilemma.

You gave him two already.

4. indy5live

indy5live Active Member

K, I figured it out. Had to think more along the lines of Narnia.