1. Pippy428

Pippy428 New Member

Going hard...

Discussion in 'Non-Fiction' started by Pippy428, Apr 21, 2010.

Being a fairly new writer I sometimes find myself stuck figuring out how to begin writing professionally. I've read a few books, subscribed to a few sites, spoken with a few people but the info I've received thus far just seems so vague. I don't know, maybe it's just me. Maybe I'm expecting some elaborate outline on how to start writing for hire and maybe that just isn't the way it goes. Does anyone have any advice on how to really just go hard at pursuing a professional writing career? I write non-fiction and I would love to write articles for print or online, but I just don't know where to begin. Any books, resources, websites or "how to get started" advice is greatly appreciated. Perhaps I'm just reading too much into the way I assume this process is supposed to go. Feedback is welcome here...LOL! Thank you.

2. thirdwind

thirdwind Member Contest Administrator Reviewer Contributor

For articles and other such non-fiction, you can always write as a freelancer. That basically involves writing an article and submitting to magazines, newspapers, etc. If you're good and/or popular with readers, then you might become a regular contributor. I'm not aware of any good freelance sites but a quick google search should bring up a few places to start. Another thing to do is to look for internships, but I don't think many places offer internships for writers (most of them are for editors).

3. Nobeler Than Lettuce

Nobeler Than Lettuce New Member

Do you live in a town? How many newspapers do you think a town of 50,000 produces? I've been around and I'd say well over 100. Each a job with staff editors, contributors, layout organizers and cameramen. Looking at the community college for photography and journalism classes may be a good place to start. At your community center, town hall, what-have-you, you can probably find information if you ask nicely. Hospitals, and churches are two other places where you can find good, non-fiction writing outlets. Remember, you're the wordsmith, but the job may call for more than the ability to write an article. Learning Adobe InDesign was a handy thing that I did early in high school, (and forced everyone to use it with a pirate copy because I was tired of using a copy of Quark 5). I also paid 500 for a handy camera, and any monkey can read a half hour of articles on photography and at least learn what settings he should be using.

Magazine contributors are often experts in their given field. I've long wanted to build up the bitchin' street cred of having a hacking article publishing in the underground super publication alt.2600, but I simply couldn't tell you anything about it anymore because that knowledge passed away with the need for a 7th grader's IRC scripts. You never mentioned exactly what you'd be writing. I sure hope you don't plan on just "writing about anything". Don't you have any magazines that you read picked out?

What is important, and is something that no one mentions on this forum, is getting yourself a Writers Market account. I believe they have a specific one targeted for magazines. This lists all publications, in volume, with specific tags for each one. The website also allows registered members to track their manuscripts and e-mail them out. Handy.

4. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

all good advice there...

i was a freelancer for years, wrote columns, articles, edted a magazine, was a writing consultant with clients who paid me up to $150/hr to write/edit whatever took words... even did some pduct copy for nestle's chocolate... so if you want any help getting started, feel free to email me any time...

love and hugs, maia
    maia3maia@hotmail.com