1. LaPetitePierrot

LaPetitePierrot New Member

Puzzled?

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by LaPetitePierrot, Aug 16, 2010.

Well, right now my story is getting quite messy, resembling a baby that was squeezed out of The Prestige after being impregnated en mass by the Da Vinci Code, X-men, and Blue's Clues; not a pretty thought, but you get the point :p

Basically, my main character, Natalia, had a father who had super-advanced scientific notes capable of solving all the world's problems, or completely destroying it. He left the notes to his daughter in a secret location no one knows. However, seeing as how everyone else in the world is after it, I thought it'd be smart for him to make a puzzle (like the cryptex from Da Vinci Code) that only the main character could solve (because the answers are all stuff only she would know; like what she got for her 7th birthday, etc. I tried using a crossword inscribed onto a metal orb, but it seems like a bit of a stretch. Anyone got any good suggestions for some kind of puzzle thing with which one can hide a secret message?

2. 0---TY---0

0---TY---0 New Member

I like this idea, I have always been partial to puzzles.

Maybe you could go so far as to use things from what we know.

Such as: A Rubik's Cube!

My idea for the puzzles really isn't specific. I had a general idea though...

What if there were something resembling levels to the puzzles? And some of the puzzles from previous levels, you needed to bring up and use them as keys for the puzzle at hand. Maybe a solved rubik's cube could fit into a slot and used to turn a dial to shift into a certain important date that only the main character would know?

Just an idea, but my suggestion is to make out a chart of sorts with the names of puzzles, and if and how they connect to each other mapped out. It will help keep things less confusing.

Keep up the writing!

~TY

3. caimomile

caimomile New Member

will the story revolve around the note/puzzle or are those just a macguffin?

If the basic plot revolves around there, I think you really should focus on making them elaborate. Else, you should focus on other more important stuff.

Anyway, my suggestion would be anagrams. (this may be a personal bias because I'm in love with anagrams! hahaha)

4. ojduffelworth

ojduffelworth New Member

super-advanced scientific notes capable of solving all the world's problems, or completely destroying it
    This sounds totally unbelievably to me. ALL of the worlds problems? From ingrown toenails to cold fusion? Hmmm

5. LaPetitePierrot

LaPetitePierrot New Member

Haha, yeah it seems a bit far fetched, but trust me, once you hear what the notes are on, it'll make quite alot of sense.
    Yeah, I'm meaning for this thing to be a Macguffin. Just a small little obstacle. However, I need to make sure it makes sense or the whole plot falls apart (people asking questions like, why didn't the antagonist just to this and that to break the puzzle... etc).