Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GingerCoffee

GingerCoffee Web Surfer Girl Contributor

Quantum theory of consciousness

Discussion in 'Debate Room' started by GingerCoffee, Jun 8, 2014.

Well, I wasn't that far off:

It'll take me a while to get up to speed on the theory and on the quantum vibrations in the brain's microtubules. String theory while not refuted by evidence so far, is also not a testable theory as is. I need to look at this evidence for quantum vibrations.

In the meantime, I've heard both that quantum entanglement is bogus with supporting scientific explanations , and that it has been found under test conditions, again with supporting scientific evidence. I lean toward the latter and find quantum entanglement one of the most intriguing finds in physics.

Quantum computing developers announced another breakthrough just last week.

2. Andrae Smith

Andrae Smith Gone exploring... in the inner realm... Contributor

I'm not knowledgeable enough to truly take part here, but I hope this thread jumps off so I can read up. I've actually been planning on looking more into the scientific perspective regarding human consciousness as well as quantum mechanics. Hey @GingerCoffee , if you have a couple of good starter links I could look at, I would greatly appreciate it if you could post them! :) I could use the reading :read: and it may even help with a story I'm going to write. :write:

3. GingerCoffee

Starter links on QM or on QM consciousness theories?

4. thirdwind

thirdwind Contributing Member Contest Administrator Reviewer Contributor

I'm not sure I buy the idea that consciousness has always been around. For me, consciousness implies a being that's there to perceive his/her/its surroundings.

I'll have to do more reading before I reply to the other stuff. Thanks for starting this thread by the way.

GingerCoffee likes this.
  5. WeWill77

WeWill77 Member

I'd say this falls under hypothesis rather than theory. It's annoying that even scientists misuse the word theory. Like "string theory." It'd be more appropriately described as "string hypothesis" or "maybe everything's made of strings? Not sure. We've got people looking into it."

6. GingerCoffee

Yes, quantum consciousness is an hypothesis rather than a theory. But string theory is a theory.

Regardless, this is a casual discussion, I don't care if people conflate the two words.

7. Andrae Smith

Thanks, sorry for the delay QM Consciousness ha ha

8. thirdwind

thirdwind Contributing Member Contest Administrator Reviewer Contributor

Here's a video to start:

And here's a link to the Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy page, which goes through a bunch of different theories. This is my favorite site so far because it doesn't take any sides on the matter. It just presents facts. A lot of other pages I visited either supported a quantum approach to consciousness or outright dismissed it.

I should tag @AJC in this thread. He knows a lot about this stuff and should be able to give an informed opinion.

9. Andrae Smith

Thanks I'll start here! Seems like just the site for me.

10. AJC

AJC Active Member

I don't like Penrose's argument as it currently stands because it jumps to conclusions. Aside from that, there are 2 things that we need to better understand. The first one is at what point does a quantum system become a classical system. The answer is that we don't currently know. Particles on the order of 0.1 microns exhibit quantum mechanical effects. It might even be 1 micron. I don't remember exactly. The second point is that I believe Penrose used a Newtonian model of gravity when describing interactions in the brain. This is incorrect given that we're talking about very small sizes.

Despite all this, it wouldn't surprise me at all if quantum mechanics was shown to do a good job of describing consciousness. That's because quantum mechanics has already been used to accurately describe protein folding and gap junctions.

On the topic of string theory, it's a hypothesis. It doesn't meet any of the criteria of a theory.

11. 123456789

123456789 Contributing Member Contributor

1 micron?!At what temperature? Sources please?

@thirdwind I haven't blown off the link you sent me, it's on my list will read it within a week or so.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2014
  12. AJC

AJC Active Member

Look up papers by Anton Zeilinger, Yves Couder, and Emmanuel Fort. I don't remember the exact names of the papers, but they shouldn't be too hard to find. I think Couder and Fort actually found quantum interference for 1 mm sized objects. Their work was on fluid droplets.

123456789 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.