1. Garball

Garball Sometimes nothing can be a real cool hand. Supporter Contributor

Queries/Submissions query content

Discussion in 'Publishing' started by Garball, May 9, 2013.

I was researching literature agencies of some of the famous authors who I believe write the same genre in which I am attempting to get published. One of the agencies under their submission guidelines stated to send your query to x address with no other specifications. In this instance, do you send only a "standard" query letter or tack on an example of your work as well?

2. chicagoliz

chicagoliz Contributing Member Contributor

I'm not sure what the default protocol is if there really is no specification. My guess would be to send five pages or so -- they can always disregard it if they don't want to read it. But that's really just a guess. If you're on twitter, go to #askagent and see if anyone is doing an ask agent session where you can ask your question. Also some agencies, I think New Leaf and Janet Reid will sometimes answer questions on their blogs. (They're both on Twitter, or you should be able to find them on google).

3. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

since it's possible that some agents would be annoyed at being sent samples before they're requested, it may be best to stay on the safe side and only send a query letter...

4. Vince524

Vince524 Member

I've always been told include a few pages in the body of the email, not as a separate attachment. If they don't request any, just make it a couple of pages. Something so they can at least see if they like the way you write and connect with the voice of the MS.