1. FinalStar

FinalStar Member

Query for short story's

Discussion in 'Publishing' started by FinalStar, Jul 19, 2011.

I'm trying to write a query for my short story. So far i have only found query for novels. Is it the same for short story's?

I have the hook. But a Mini-synopsis? its about 1000words. I'm sure i could figure away to write it but just wondering if its the same for short story's.

2. Holden

Holden Senior Member

Where are you thinking of sending it? Most magazines that accept submissions don't require a query, and instead have an online (or by snail-mail) submission system.

3. FinalStar

FinalStar Member

Im looking to sub to shimmer, its a magazines. I didn't see anywhere it said query. Do i just leave the body of the email empty?

4. The-Joker

The-Joker Contributing Member Contributor

You definately don't need to write a query for a short story if the magazine does not specifically ask for one. Especially for a 1k story.

In the body of the email you can simply state.

Dear editor someone:

Attached is The Man-eating Squirrel for your consideration.

Thank you.

All the details will be at the top of the manuscript: name, address, number, word count etc.

Queries are designed to tell the editor whether the manuscript is worth the time to begin reading. In novels that tool is essential for any agent/editor, but for short stories that assessment is better made by jumping straight into the piece. Sometimes they ask for queries for the longer short stories, 7500+ words

5. TWErvin2

TWErvin2 Contributing Member Contributor

You would use the body of the email as a cover letter. The-Joker is correct.

Try to find the editor's name if you can.

Tell them the genre if it's important (they take spec fic only I think so you may not need to mention it.--I say this because sometimes different slush readers tackle horror vs. fantasy, etc.).

Include the word count.

Something like: I am submitting "Death likes Pancakes," a 2800 word horror story for your consideration.

If you have any relevant writing credits, list them next.

Then close,...something along the lines of I look forward to your response.

Type your name (I usually type my email addy underneath if I haven't included full contact information at the top of the cover letter.

That's it in brief. So it's more of a cover letter as opposed to a query letter.

Good luck!

Terry

6. Holden

Holden Senior Member

As others have said, read the submission guidelines carefully. They'll usually say how to format the email, whether or not to use attatchments, etc. No query is needed for short stories, however.

7. Mallory

Mallory Mallegory. Contributor

Off-topic, but watch for the grocer's apostrophes. Short stories, not story's. That'll make editors and publishers run for the hills. Just saying. :)

Best of luck to you!

8. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

yes, the plural of story is stories, not 'story's...

and what you would send for a short story submission is a cover letter, not a query... follow terry's instructions/examples on how to write one...