1. LordKyleOfEarth

LordKyleOfEarth Contributing Member Contributor

Query letter for a short story

Discussion in 'Publishing' started by LordKyleOfEarth, Dec 1, 2009.

I have found a publisher that I am interested in submitting a short story to. They publish novels as well (apparently that is their primary venue). They require a query letter for short stories as well, which is the first time I have seen this.

There is TONS of info on the 'net regarding how to write one for a novel; would I follow the same guides to sell my short story as well?

2. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

yes... but if your ms will accompany the query, just keep the summary as short as possible...

3. LordKyleOfEarth

LordKyleOfEarth Contributing Member Contributor

Cool, thanks again Maia

4. coldu

coldu Member

When writing a letter you need to be as concise as possible. They will use this letter to assess your technical ability to write and so this needs to be spot on. You need to be concise, just stick to the facts and never offer opinions of any kind.
    Focus on the key elements of the story. The key character, his purpose, the conflict and the resolution. don't use narrative or dialogue. but, structure it in the same way you would a story. you want to keep the editor interested.

5. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

sorry, but that's self-contradictory, since stories are structured with narrative and dialogue...

it's true, however, that you should not include any dialog in your summary... i think what you may have had in mind is that it should be written in somewhat the same 'voice' as the story...