Tags:
  1. Beckahrah

Beckahrah Member

Query letter help

Discussion in 'Publishing' started by Beckahrah, Oct 21, 2010.

I found a 'mad lib' style query generator on an agent's website based on what makes him ask for partials. Surprisingly, it seems rather helpful:

[protagonist name] is a [description of protagonist] living in [setting]. But when [complicating incident], [protagonist name] must [protagonist's quest] and [verb] [villain] in order to [protagonist's goal].

That got me:

Anaiiya is a half demon, half Guardian urchin living with the gargoyle tribe she saved from murderous zealots. But when her Nephilim father sets a trap to force her to choose between her two natures, Anaiiya must put her adopted gargoyle family in even greater danger to prevent a war between Man and the Mystic Races.

It's not perfect, but it's a good jumping off point, I think

2. S-wo

S-wo Active Member

I'm not sure if this is just a review or a general info helping thread, but as I can see that is just one structure that could be used, but may not be the most ideal.

3. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

It's clearly a general info helping thread, because if she were asking for opinions on the result, I would be forced to remove the thread.

4. Beckahrah

Beckahrah Member

No, I'm not asking for opinions on the results. I just thought this might be something helpful for people struggling with their query letters. It's not perfect, but I think it gives a good idea of where to start from.

5. Noya Desherbanté

Noya Desherbanté Senior Member

Beckahrah, I think it looks like an extremely useful little widget, considering how stupidly difficult these seemingly rock-bottom simple things should be!! Could you post a link to the agent's website? Strikes me that if you're stuck for plots one day, you could also just enter in random words or names and see what you get, I love generators like this :p

6. Beckahrah

Beckahrah Member

I'd like to post a link, but Cogito won't allow it. :p It's Nathan Bransford's blog, though. Do a Google search and you should be able to find it. He has lots of stuff on his site about writing synopses and query letters and everything else.

7. Noya Desherbanté

Noya Desherbanté Senior Member

Ahh, I see ;) fair enough then, thanks for the pointer :D