1. Jobeykobra

Jobeykobra Member

Query Letter Questions

Discussion in 'Publishing' started by Jobeykobra, Oct 26, 2009.

I'm planning on sending a query letter to an agent whose guidelines suggest a 1-3 page brief synopsis of the book. Now my question is, should I write a mini-synopsis in the query letter as well? Or should I just write the hook, the mini-bio, etc. and leave the synopsis for the following page(s)? And I assume it should single-spaced in the synopsis pages?

Also, the guideline asks for up to the first 50 pages of the manuscript. How would I go about packaging these pages along with the query letter?

2. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

yes, the query must contain a one-paragraph summary of the plot, the middle paragraph of three, in a single-page letter...

no, see above... they won't bother reading the synopsis, if the query summary doesn't grab them... and no bio info should be included, other than mention of your paid credits, if you have any...

yes... only the ms itself is double-spaced...

loose, with the query and synopsis on top... you can separate the package elements with colored pages, or sheets of card stock, but do not use staples, or a binder of any kind...

it's best to send full mss in a ms box that you can get from stationery stores, or order online from www.thewritersstore.com ... and send the whole thing in a tyvek envelope...

the box allows agents/editors to keep the ms together and not lose any pages, which sending it in an envelope alone won't do... for just sample chapters, you can use a file folder, if you can't find a suitably-sized box...

3. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Also note that manuscripts should be submitted single-sided.

4. Jobeykobra

Jobeykobra Member

Thanks a lot. These are exactly the kind of answers I was looking for.

5. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

i'm curious, cog... does anyone really need to be told that?

6. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

I wouldn't assume everyone knows it, especially if they believe that they are "being green" by cutting their paper use in half.