1. rylotajo

rylotajo Member

Query question

Discussion in 'Publishing' started by rylotajo, Jun 6, 2009.

After posting about my synopsis, I got to wondering about my query letter. Is it okay if I posted it here for comments? I haven't posted anything like it yet, so I wanted to ask first. Thanks!:)

2. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

A query letter is permitted here. Don;t expect us to correct your grammar or spelling, but the members experienced with queries may be able to advise you on the content.

Queries are essentially a business letter, and there are standards or guidelines as to what they should and should not include.

Before posting your query letter, there are many guides on the web on how to write a query letter. Start with a google search on query letters, and learn from the articles that come up.

3. rylotajo

rylotajo Member

My Query Letter

Okay, this is the main body of my query letter. Any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks!

Dear Agent,

Witch or Werewolf? Given these two options, which would you choose? Claire Evans doesn’t have the luxury of choosing, it’s already been done for her--she just hasn’t figured it out yet.

Claire Evans has never cast a spell, evoked a spirit, or even recited an incantation. She’s never known the exhilarating feeling of heightened senses, experienced rapid self-healing, or been able to communicate telepathically. Her completely average life consisted of wholly devoted and protective parents, customary teenage dilemmas and dramas, and a distinctly established sense of self-assurance.

This sun-worshiping, free spirited and vastly independent sixteen, almost seventeen year old girl from San Diego, California never imagined that she would end up in the small town of Astoria, Oregon. When Claire’s seemingly perfect life was sent into a tail-spin by the abrupt and tragic death of her parents, she is forced to abandon the only way of life she has ever known. Her parents were dead, she had to leave her home and move in with her grandmother Alice--whom she barely knows, she was irrevocably falling in love with a boy who had secrets of his own, and worst of all, she unexpectedly discovered a shocking and profound family secret. What’s the secret? Her mother was a witch and her father was a werewolf and now Claire's once average teenage life has spiraled out of control, trapping her in the middle of a more than a century-old feud between the witches and werewolves of Astoria.

My passion for paranormal characters is the driving force in writing this novel, as well as the opportunity to portray these frequently reviled fiends as civilized and compassionate. There’s just something about love, witches, and werewolves.

Crescent Moon is my first novel. It is a Young Adult paranormal/fantasy romance novel that is complete at just under 135,000 words. The sequel, which is untitled, features the same characters and is in the outline phase at this time.

I would be happy to send you my complete manuscript or sample chapters for your review. Thank you for your time and consideration, and I look forward to hearing from you soon.

4. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

i have some good tips from the pros on how to write an effective one, so if you want them, just send me an email...

5. rylotajo

rylotajo Member

Hey mammamaia, I would love any tips you might have. I've had a few people read my query letter so far, and everyone seems to think it is okay, but none of them are professionals. I always tell them to be brutally honest, so I'm not sure if they are just appeasing me and telling me what I want to hear, or if they think my writing is truly good. I'd love some feedback if anyone is willing. Thanks!

6. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

i do that all the time... send me the query and i'll be happy to give you feedback on it... and will send you the tips, as well...

hugs, m

7. rylotajo

rylotajo Member

Oh I would love that! Thank you! I'll send it in an email, thanks!