1. Appolyons

Appolyons Member

Query Research

Discussion in 'Publishing' started by Appolyons, Jun 21, 2008.

Hi everyone.

I was just curious, once you have picked an agent, researched them, and made sure they dont have any bad history...what are just some general rules/ideas for relating your research to the agent?

What I mean by this is, what are some of the things you can say other than (this is just a rough example): "It is my hopes that you will represent my work." I'm having trouble proving to them that I in fact researched their agency yet relating it in a relevent way in my query.

Could you make mention to some of their other recently published books? And if you can, how exactly can you say that and still bring the focus back to yours?

Could you mention the agents history and how pleased you are with it? Or something to the notion of them coming "recommended/highly recommended"?

I understand there is probably no concrete answer for these questions. Anything you guys can think of though in response to this is greatly appreciated.

Thank you as always for your time.

2. Moira

Moira Member

My best suggestion would be to type, "query letter" into the Google search engine and go from there. Stephanie Meyer has a little shpeal about them on her website as well. Everyone writes them differently. I am personally hoping that I can find someone to write mine for me since I never seem to get it right.

Good luck on your search!

-Moira

3. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

ap... you need to ask mods to move this thread to the relevant section, as it's not relevant to 'suggestions and feedback'...

yes, you can... it it's true, you can just say that your book is similar in theme/genre/whatever...

either one... but the second, only if it's true... it's best if you can get a personal recommendation from one of their clients...

4. Banzai

Banzai One-time Mod, but on the road to recovery Contributor

Moved to the Publishers forum.

5. Appolyons

Appolyons Member

Sorry for posting this in the wrong spot, thank you banzai for moving it.

As for the replies, m, your my light at the end of this long tunnel...thank you!