Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Onfhadh

Onfhadh New Member

Sex scenes

Discussion in 'Support & Feedback' started by Onfhadh, Jun 9, 2008.

I know this forum has members as young as 13 so whats the rules regarding sex scenes? If I've just been silly and missed an existing post on the subject just tell me.

Thanks, DG.

2. Oasis Writer

Oasis Writer Contributor Contributor

Put a disclaimer in the thread somewhere at the top saying there is inappropriate content for people younger than 18. Due to the nature of the reason it's inappropriate, I would say no erotica. If it's a discreet sex scene, like romantic one that doesn't use obscenities (like the Notebook, if you've read that), then it probably doesn't need any disclaimer. The Middle School here didn't give one. If it's using obscenities, like I ****ed her so hard, her...., then it's very inappropriate and needs a disclaimer. Anything like erotica is probably not allowed.

3. Scribe Rewan

Scribe Rewan New Member

Yeah if it's really hardcore you might want to find someone to PM and ask for a critique rather than post it up here.

4. Gannon

Gannon Contributor Contributor

I refer you to the site rules as posted by our site admin: https://www.writingforums.org/showthread.php?p=101625#post101625

They stipulate amongst other things that:

Posting Stories and Poems:

- Pieces may not contain graphic descriptions of rape or incest. Erotica writing is also not permitted.
    - (Strong) Language and violence are permitted as long as they are not used excessively.

Kind regards and happy writing

5. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

By the way, the rules Gannon pointed out apply to PMs (private messages) as well.

Disclaimers should be used for violent or potentially disturbing content that otherwise falls within the site's content rules. But content much beyond what the film industry labels PG-13 is not permitted at all.

6. Onfhadh

Onfhadh New Member

Thats fine then, it isn't erotica or disturbing content. It's just a sex scene in a horror story. I wouldn't say it's discreet, but its nothing more than a literary version of any American teen movie.

Thanks, DG.

7. Stinger

Stinger New Member

You could create another thread for stories with contents that are not suitable for -18. And why rape and incest? Why these two were specially mentioned?

8. Onfhadh

Onfhadh New Member

Probably because there rather sensitive issues.

9. Cogito

Because of specific problems faced previously, which need not be dredged up.

That statement is not intended to be an exhaustive list of what is not allowed, however. If you have material that you are uncertain whether it is acceptable content, please contact a moderator or the site owner (Daniel) and ask.

10. Torana

Torana Contributor Contributor

The only problem I have found...with poetry at least, is that people tend to write about rape, molestation, incest and post it up. And I know that it isn't really graphic as such, not giving nitty gritties, but with the imagery used, no matter what way you go about it, poetry is a rather graphic form of art. You can't sugar these topics...I posted up a pice that had one line in it about molestation, it wasn't graphic as such. But I had a member say something about it, and then I looked through other pieces, and there are other poems on this board that were far more graphic then my piece.

So what is the limit with poetry? Where are people crossing the line with posting up work on these topics?

11. Cogito

The line is drawn at graphic depiction in that case.

I know the poem you are referring to, and it did not violate the site standards. The best policy in that case is for the writer to note a content warning in the header.

If someone does find a posted piece questionable or objectionable, they should raise it to the moderators' attention with the Report Post icon. That does not guarantee that the piece will be removed, but it does bring it to the attention of the moderators, who will then decide whether action is needed.

12. Stinger

Stinger New Member

It's better to create another thread which minors have no access to.

13. Kit

Kit Contributor Contributor

Minors are different ages in different countries, and different people have different levels of maturity. What about if a minor was the one writing the content?

Its not so easy.

14. Cogito

That is not how this site works. The decision was made a long time ago to limit the content on this site. It is long past the point of debate.

There are far more people who have expressed gratitude that the site keeps such standards than have complained about the limitation.

15. Raven

Raven Banned

If you post anything that contains a breach of rules the work will be deleted and you'll face a serious Infraction or even a Ban depending on the content.

These rules are none negotiable.

~Raven.
    Senior Super Moderator.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.