Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bjørnar Munkerud

Bjørnar Munkerud Senior Member

Writing Forums signatures

Discussion in 'Support & Feedback' started by Bjørnar Munkerud, Oct 15, 2012.

Hey!

Sorry if someone's asked this question before.

What I've been wondering lately, as a relatively new Writing Forums member/frequenter/user/commenter/poster/contributor, is what people write and should wrire in the "Signature" part below their posts and comments, and also when to include your signature and when not to. How long should a signature be? Is it considered weird quoting your own work there? Should it be funny/witty? How often can (AKA would you recommend) you change it? Etc.

Thoughts on "do"s and "don't"s, and experiences of what writingforumserers (a poor term coined by me right now) actually do put down there in the fabled section of our beloved forum, would be much appreciated.

Finally I'll eleborate a little on MY current signature, which can be found below. I'm an unpublished, young, aspiring author, and currently also a student, who's been working slowly on my first writing project for slightly more than a year. I'm planning a novel series of possibly as many as nine books, in a genre I think bets fits into the genre of science fiction, although it has elements of fantasy and other genres, too. My signature is a quote from it; from the relatively small amount of text I have written so far; most of the work I've done so far is character, plot and setting development etc.; featuring the two most prominent characters of the series, Daniel Thomas Rupert "Dan" Yonderman and Windie Suzannah Savannah "Win" Myhee. I chose it as my signature because it is by far my favourite quote out of what I've written so far. I think it only shines in context, but hopefully people can still "relate" to it, even though they don't know the characters, their relationship, the context or which world they are talking about (which is easiest said to be the fictional planet Wedge, which they are living on).

Hopefully I haven't yet killed you all with this instantly indeciphrable rambling sentences of unintelligible humbug nonsense mess of no interest whatsoever. As I said: any thoughts would be much appreciated. Regards, Bjørnar.

2. Mr Mr

Mr Mr Active Member

3. Bjørnar Munkerud

Thanks!

4. Bjørnar Munkerud

It covers the basics, but most of my questions still stand. What do you prefer putting in your signature? Any thoughts, anyone?

5. Pheonix

Pheonix A Singer of Space Operas and The Fourth Mod of RP Contributor

I think you kinda answered your question. It's your preference. I have a quote by my grandfather, some people have song lyrics, quotes from their own work, famous quotes, their website, you name it. I actually think your signature is kinda awesome! :)

As for when yo show and not show, I always leave mine on, others don't... There really is no elaborate etiquette system developed, just use good sense, that's all I can say!

6. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Read the site rules, not just the FAQ. No advertising, no unattributed quotes, no more than two offsite links, and any inappropriate signatures can and will be removed by the moderators, at their discretion.

Also, no "billboard" signature. Larger than default font sizes will be removed, as will any signature that takes up an excessive amount of space.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.