1. Ryan Elder

Ryan Elder Contributing Member

Question about how the police would work in this type of situation?

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by Ryan Elder, Mar 7, 2016.

In my story, a woman is testifying as a witness in a kidnapping case. I did some real police research and I found out that in real life the police do not have the resources to protect witnesses like they do in fiction. Which is what I want for my story. I want my character to be alone having to thwart off danger, by herself.

So in the story her house is attempted to be broken into, and vandalized on the outside, such as cutting the phone line and possibly the power. Things like that.

The police come to the scene when she calls. However, it wasn't really the kidnappers who are coming after. She staged the phone line being cut, and the attempted break in herself, in an attempt to get police protection.

Now when doing research I was told that a lot of times, the police would just tell her to go stay at a family member's or friend's house, after they were done looking around and checking out the scene.

However, what if the power were cut as well, and she had no power? Would the police still tell her that, or would they take her to the station for the night protection?

I want her to still be left on her own, accept for one cop who takes sympathy on her and protects her for the rest of the night, even though he is not suppose to. Or I can write it so that he can as part of his job, but I don't want him to have any help.

I want the story to go so that it's just him and her for the rest of the night. So what's the best way for making this premise work?

In order to compel the one cop, and one cop only to watch her for the rest of the night, should she stage a break in one the door and cut the phone line? Or should she cut the power as well, in order to compel the cop to protect her, cause he feels that if she has no place to go, he will have to take her some place and protect her, which is what she wants. Protection from a cop, rather than going to a friend's place.

So in order to get protection from just one cop, should she cut the power to, so he will feel compelled to take her somewhere else to watch her? Or will this cause him to take her to the police station?

What is the best way to make the premise work, so it's just him and her, with no other police for the rest of the night, if this is possible? Thanks for the input. I really appreciate it.

2. BoddaGetta

BoddaGetta Active Member

It is rather easy for police to figure out faking an incident, which in itself is a crime.

A way I could see it working is if it were set in a small, rural town. There is no police department in most tiny towns in the USA, it's ran by the sheriff's department, who is in charge of the whole county too.

My grandmother lives in a very rural area, and since she is a 93 year old lady by herself, she has a home security system and the sheriff's personal cell on speed dial. One time when there was an intruder on the property that tried to pry open a window to break in, just the sheriff showed up, checked around the property, then drove her to her niece's place about 20 mins away.

One way I would see this premise working is the rural situation I mentioned above, including making it to where she has no family or friends living close by.

3. Ryan Elder

Ryan Elder Contributing Member

Okay thanks. But the main villain is a serial killer type villain who has already had lots of victims. So I think a city is better for that type of story, as the killer is able to hide among the people better, and she can still have plenty of victims to choose from without getting caught, unlike a small town. So I think because of the villain, a city would probably work better.

As for the police being able to figure it out, they are not electricians or phone experts, so I think the witness can make it look like an accident to untrained eye. I don't think they will be able to tell it was her as long as she wears gloves and does not get her prints on the equipment when making it look like an attack on the house, no?

I thought I would just write so maybe her parents are deceased and the witness is a loner with no friends, which is why she wants the cops to help her, but I want it so it's only her and one cop, so wondering on what she would have to do, that would compel one of them without compelling any others, to go away from their jobs to protect her for the rest of the night.