1. Helga Rune

Helga Rune New Member

Can't draw won't draw

Discussion in 'Self-Publishing' started by Helga Rune, Jun 29, 2016.

Afternoon all
    I'm utterly useless at drawing and or sketching (I have tried many times but no go) so I need some ideas as to how I can produce the book cover I want. The cover picture on my book 'The Moon Thief' (ISBN 9781326411541) was a fluke in that while glancing through the patio doors I looked up and saw this fantastic full moon and so I called a friend who then took the picture. Unfortunately, I don't have a friend who can draw. I've tried a few royalty free sites for images and even downloaded a few 'Cover design' programs but they're not really that great. How do you guys do it?

HR.

2. Boger

Boger Senior Member

If you're looking for someone to do your coverart I'd say try deviantart. Open a thread in the forum there like you have here and there should be plenty reactions. Give them all something to work with and come back if you need help choosing which cover you should use.

3. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

To add to the above, if memory serves, deviantart has a subforum in their general forum specifically for commissioning artwork. You can also peruse the artwork up for display and if you see something you like or a style that intrigues, send a message directly to the artist that you're looking for some cover art, strike up a conversation, strike a deal.

p.s. I also suffer from icantdraw.

4. obsidian_cicatrix

obsidian_cicatrix I ink, therefore I am. Contributor

Another thing to consider is that cover production doesn't just come down to the art involved. Someone who is capable of producing an image may not have the necessary graphic design skill to make the image look its best. Ideally, look for someone who can handle both the art, and the font/design etc.

TWErvin2 likes this.
  5. Elven Candy

Elven Candy Pay no attention to the foot in my mouth Contributor

I agree with the suggestion to try deviantart. I've seen some AMAZING artwork on that website.

obsidian, that's a really good point! I hadn't even thought about the font.

6. Laurin Kelly

Laurin Kelly Contributor Contributor

Absolutely commission an artist. Check out their work first to make sure you like their style - someone can be very skilled but not create art in a way that's to your personal taste, or that fits your book. And be willing to pay market rate for their work once you've found the right person.

7. ChickenFreak

ChickenFreak Contributor Contributor

Why not use a photograph again?

8. BC Barry

BC Barry Member

If the above prove to be too pricey (I know nothing about it) you could try Fiverr.com. People list jobs they'll do for $5 to make extra income. I've done some typing jobs and short articles for them at $5 a pop. And my brother used someone from there to design the logo for his law firm and was very happy with the results. Almost anything you would need can be found on there.

Might be worth a shot if money is an issue.

9. Helga Rune

Helga Rune New Member

Hi all, thanks for the help and info, fiver looks real good to me, have contacted a girl in Germany so will upload a few designs when done so I can get your feedback.
    All the best.
    HR.

BC Barry likes this.