Question about prologues from a novice author.

Discussion in 'Science Fiction' started by southernsontn, Sep 7, 2012.

Tags:
  1. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Blanket statements do serve a purpose. They illuminate the smoothest path for the guidance of those who don't have the experience to take the more dangerous trek cross country. Even the experienced writer tends to hike the smooth path except when there is specific value in leaving the main trail.

The experienced writer will recognize that there are really no absolutes, but knows enough to examine why striking off from the main path is hazardous. Just as even an experienced hiker won't charge unprepared into uncharted lands, an experienced writer won't throw all the guidelines to the wind.

Those new to any realm need guiding principles. Students are taught rigid, narrow methods first, then shown why those methods work. Only then are they encouraged to explore alternate methods and shortcuts.

Impatience is the worst enemy of a developing writer, and that includes impatience toward what seem like arbitrary restrictions. But without guidelines, without blanket statements, they are reduced to stumbling about in the darkness, tripping over every obstacle that centuries of writers have already banged their shins against.

Blankets obscure details. They hide some items, possibly interesting ones, from view. But blankets can also give comfort, and protection from cold realities.

So don't malign the blanket, even if you personally have outgrown it.

2. Pheonix

Pheonix A Singer of Space Operas and The Fourth Mod of RP Contributor

I wrote a prologue for one of my stories, (I actually posted it in the workshop). In it, I set up an event that leads into the main story, but does not have the main character in it. That's why I made it a prologue, because it doesn't have the main character. It seemed like a good idea at the time, but I don't know now. And I don't really care about it from a publishing standpoint so much, but is that a good use of a prologue, or should it just be chapter one?

I should also probably mention that the character dies at the end of the prologue.

3. shadowwalker

shadowwalker Contributor Contributor

On the surface, it would seem okay, but I haven't read it, or the story it goes with, so...

4. shadowwalker

My problem with blanket statements is that new writers take them for absolutes (because they are so often stated as such) and instead of trying something that will work, they choose the safe and narrow and their writing suffers for it. Worse yet are blanket statements which are really opinion but are stated as facts. If one wants to offer guidance to new writers, it shouldn't be in the form of blanket statements or absolutes but rather in statements about why and when something should be used (and when it shouldn't), and include examples of how it can be done properly versus badly. That's guidance. Yes, it's tougher to do, but infinitely more useful.

5. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Too much complexity in explanations is confusing rather than enlightening. I understand your point, but I don't agree. Ask any good teacher, there's a time for full disclosure, but there's also a time for simplified guidelines.

When someone asks a very basic question, they usually need basic guidance.

6. shadowwalker

People who are learning 'codify' what they're told - turning around and telling them later they can now do what they've been taught not to is what is confusing. My biggest headaches as a beta are because of that sort of 'simplified guideline'.

7. Wolfwig

Wolfwig New Member

I'm fine with these guidelines. Well put!

No way, Hosea! (Silly me.) I hear the idea for starting simple - always a good thing. However, transparency is better than delayed disclosure. Let students know where you're starting and where you're heading. There's no need to hide anything with a "blanket" - Surprise! Impatience is not cured by imposition of rules. Encourage discipline by demonstrating discipline. Teach patience by being patient.